Wednesday, January 27, 2016

The Pursuit Of Money, How Much Is Enough?

My Utmost For His Highest
 
Do not worry about your life… —Matthew 6:25
 
“A warning which needs to be repeated is that “the cares of this world and the deceitfulness of riches,” and the lust for other things, will choke out the life of God in us (Matthew 13:22). We are never free from the recurring waves of this invasion. If the frontline of attack is not about clothes and food, it may be about money or the lack of money; or friends or lack of friends; or the line may be drawn over difficult circumstances. It is one steady invasion, and these things will come in like a flood, unless we allow the Spirit of God to raise up the banner against it.  […]  Our Lord says to be careful only about one thing— our relationship to Him. But our common sense shouts loudly and says, “That is absurd, I must consider how I am going to live, and I must consider what I am going to eat and drink.” Jesus says you must not. Beware of allowing yourself to think that He says this while not understanding your circumstances. […] Whenever there are competing concerns in your life, be sure you always put your relationship to God first.”  CHAMBERS
 
The love of money is the root of all kinds of evil.  (1 Tim 6:10)  You cannot serve God and money.  (Matt 6:24)  I will stop there.  The Bible is replete with warnings about money.  Old and New Testaments.  Remember, God has revealed His Truth.  He knows our sinful nature and it’s preferences and dependencies.  Recently, I heard an aspiring politician respond to the question, “Do you ask God to forgive you?” with “I have never asked God to forgive me”  In other words, I am successful, my own man, I don’t need God to forgive ME!  It reminded me of King Nebuchadnezzar, right before he stated grazing with the cows and sheep.  Money has been the moral ruin of many, many people.  Why?  Because we believe that if we have enough of it, we will be able to control our little corner of the world.  NOT!  Did you ever hear the saying “Money will not buy you happiness.”  There are many rich people in prison.  Many divorced.  Many combatting the same ills that plague the poor man.  When a famous billionaire (circa 1935) was asked, “With all the money you have, how much more do you need?”  He answered, “just a little bit more.”  Perhaps he was thinking, “Maybe if I had a little bit more then this feeling that something is missing will go away.”  The solution to not having enough money is to stop spending so much.  That certainly will require a change in lifestyle.  Think about it.  ELGIN
 
Bondye Beni Ou (God Bless You)
 
Charley Elgin

No comments: