Friday, January 29, 2016

Why Do You Do What You Do, Is It God Or Is It You?

My Utmost For His Highest
 
Who are You, Lord? —Acts 26:15
 
“There is no escape when our Lord speaks. He always comes using His authority and taking hold of our understanding. Has the voice of God come to you directly? If it has, you cannot mistake the intimate insistence with which it has spoken to you. God speaks in the language you know best— not through your ears, but through your circumstances.[…] Have I been persecuting Jesus by an eager determination to serve Him in my own way? If I feel I have done my duty, yet have hurt Him in the process, I can be sure that this was not my duty. My way will not be to foster a meek and quiet spirit, only the spirit of self-satisfaction.” CHAMBERS
 
(Proverbs 14:12, 16:25)  “There is a way that seems right to a man, but the end leads to destruction.”  I once heard someone say, we should do all we can and let God do the rest.  Well-meaning I suppose.  Suggesting it is wrong for us to not do anything.  And it is.  But the question is “Why are we doing what we do?”  Are you doing what you think you need to so you can get past a difficult place? Has the Lord showed you that you should be doing something else?  Are you submitted to the leading of the Spirit or are you cutting your own path.  Dr. Henry Blackaby, in Experiencing God, said “Some say don’t just stand there, do something.  But God often says, don’t just do something, stand there.”  In other words, wait on the Lord and then do what He says.  We should not be creating opportunities for God to intervene.  He may not.  God “speaks in the language of circumstances”.
 
What causes Christians to get ahead of God? To act on their own.  Fear …… which at its root is lack of faith in God.  How do you increase your faith?  By exercising your faith.  Keeping your eyes fixed on the Lord and stepping out in the direction that He leads.  We all have plenty of opportunities to do that.  ELGIN
 
Bondye Beni Ou (God Bless You)
 
Charley Elgin

No comments: