Thursday, February 12, 2015

The Impossibility Of Sinning In Secret




“We don’t consciously and deliberately disobey God— we simply don’t listen to Him. God has given His commands to us, but we pay no attention to them— not because of willful disobedience, but because we do not truly love and respect Him. “If you love Me, keep My commandments” (John 14:15). Once we realize we have constantly been showing disrespect to God, we will be filled with shame and humiliation for ignoring Him.” CHAMBERS

We make it a point to drive the speed limit.  We have found that if we set the speed on our cruise control to the maximum speed posted, we never have to worry about getting a speeding ticket.  I must say, there are many cars that pass us.  The conclusion, they have decided that it is OK for them to exceed the posted limit.  That is until they see a police car and then the brake lights come on.  Why is that do you suppose?  My guess is that they know they are violating the law, and it’s OK so long as law enforcement is not around.  In Psalm 139, David said that there is no place the he can go on this earth where God is not already present.  You cannot sin in secret.  It is a deception that began in the garden of Eden.  Genesis 3:8 “Then the man and his wife heard the sound of the Lord God as he was walking in the garden in the cool of the day, and they hid from the Lord God among the trees of the garden.”

What were they thinking?  That God did not know.  What are we thinking?  That no one will know?  God looks at the heart … it does not matter where you  are.  When we sin in secret, we may deceive other people, but there is nothing hidden from God.  Imagine if there were police cars at every mile marker on the expressway.  How do you think that would affect the way people drive.  In a similar way, we must make ourselves aware of God’s presence.  His Spirit is in every believer.  Anywhere you go, the Spirit is there with you. 

But here is the thing.  Our motivation for obedience should not be that we fear being caught in our disobedience.  Our motivation should be our love for God.  Jesus said “If you love me, keep my commandments”.  Just as Jesus asked Peter in John 21, “Do you love me?”  When Peter replied, “yes”, just as I imagine we all would, then Jesus said “Show Me”. ELGIN

“All to Jesus I surrender.  All to Him I freely give.  I will ever love and trust Him.  In His presence daily live. I surrender all.  I surrender all.  All to Thee my blessed Savior, I surrender all.”

Bondye Beni Ou (God Bless You)

No comments: