Friday, February 20, 2015

No Time For Daydreaming




“Beware, however, of giving in to mere daydreaming once God has spoken. Allow Him to be the source of all your dreams, joys, and delights, and be careful to go and obey what He has said. If you are in love with someone, you don’t sit and daydream about that person all the time— you go and do something for him. That is what Jesus Christ expects us to do. Daydreaming after God has spoken is an indication that we do not trust Him.” CHAMBERS

I must be honest.  When I read the Chambers devotion this morning, I thought, there is nothing that I feel compelled to say about this.  Then as I reconsidered it just a few minutes ago, the thoughts came to me.  I had a picture of me sitting in a grade school classroom.  I was looking out the window as the teacher was talking, like the Charlie Brown (no relation!) cartoon where the teacher is say “Wah, wah, wah, wah”  Nothing intelligible.  Well, that is the problem with us.  The Lord is speaking to us by His Spirit, but we are day dreaming.  Thinking about other things.

You know what I mean.  Like when you pray but the things of this world cloud your mind.  The thoughts were not there until you tried to focus on God.  Then they rush in like a flood.  The encouragement we get from the Word is Colossians 3:1-3 “Since, then, you have been raised with Christ, set your hearts on things above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God. Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things. For you died, and your life is now hidden with Christ in God.”

An indication of where your heart is focused  .. is what comes to your mind when you try to pray. Not something we would readily admit to, but you know it is true.  Setting your mind requires forethought.  It does not just happen.  You must be intentional about it.  You must be committed to your faith and not merely content with gazing out the window.

Isaiah 50:4-7   The Sovereign Lord has given me a well-instructed tongue, to know the word that sustains the weary. He wakens me morning by morning, wakens my ear to listen like one being instructed. The Sovereign Lord has opened my ears; I have not been rebellious, I have not turned away. […] Because the Sovereign Lord helps me, I will not be disgraced. Therefore have I set my face like flint, and I know I will not be put to shame.”  ELGIN

Bondye Beni Ou (God Bless You)

No comments: