Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Looking Like Jesus

My Utmost For His Highest
 
‘Whether I overcome, thereby producing virtue, depends on the level of moral excellence in my life. But we must fight to be moral. Morality does not happen by accident; moral virtue is acquired. And spiritually it is also the same. Jesus said, “In the world you will have tribulation . . .” (John 16:33). This means that anything which is not spiritual leads to my downfall. Jesus went on to say, “. . . but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world.” I must learn to fight against and overcome the things that come against me, and in that way produce the balance of holiness. … Holiness is the balance between my nature and the law of God as expressed in Jesus Christ.’ CHAMBERS
 
So what is my life, as a Christian, supposed to be like?  It is supposed to be a reflection of Jesus.  In John 14, Philip asked the Lord to show them the Father.  Jesus responded that if they saw Him, Jesus, they had seen the Father.  Because, Jesus reflected the Father.  In the same way, we should reflect Jesus and when we do that we, too, reflect the Father.  We face opposition to doing that every day.  Battles within and without.  The transformation that Romans 12:1 and 2 Corinthians 5:17 speak of does not happen without effort on our part.  We can overcome, we can be changed.   Do you think that it is impossible?  Have you tried to be like Jesus, but find that you keep coming up short.  …. Does it make sense that God would tell us that we are to live a certain way and then make it impossible to do?  That would be cruel and God is not cruel.  The new life is possible but only by the power of the Spirit and the Word and effort on our part.
 
Don’t be content with just being a good person … satisfied with where you are spiritually .. comfortable with your faults … make your goal that people would say .. “you remind me of Jesus”
 
Bondye Beni Ou (God Bless You)

No comments: