Thursday, December 6, 2012

I'll Believe It When I See It!

My Utmost For His Highest
 
“I set My rainbow in the cloud, and it shall be for the sign of the covenant between Me and the earth” —Genesis 9:13
 
Why doesn’t God save me? He has accomplished and provided for my salvation, but I have not yet entered into a relationship with Him. Why doesn’t God do everything we ask? He has done it.
 
Waiting for God to act is fleshly unbelief. It means that I have no faith in Him. I wait for Him to do something in me so I may trust in that. But God won’t do it, because that is not the basis of the God-and-man relationship. Man must go beyond the physical body and feelings in his covenant with God, just as God goes beyond Himself in reaching out with His covenant to man. It is a question of faith in God–a very rare thing. We only have faith in our feelings. I don’t believe God until He puts something tangible in my hand, so that I know I have it. Then I say, “Now I believe.” There is no faith exhibited in that. God says, “Look to Me, and be saved . . .” (Isaiah 45:22).’ CHAMBERS
 
When I first read Chambers devotion I was reminded of what happened a few months ago.  We were surveying the new land for the orphanage and it began to rain.  So we stood under a large Mango tree to wait for the weather to pass by.  When I looked to the west end of the property, there was a rainbow on the property .. not in the distance as you often see them, but on the property .. both ends were visible.  I told the men to look and see.  They did and many were fearful.  They said that if you go to the end of a rainbow you will die … a Haitian belief.   I said ‘no’ … God said He was using the rainbow as a sign of His covenant and that God was making a covenant with us .. He was blessing the land.  Isn’t it something how people can see the same thing and come to completely different conclusions … One conclusion based on fear and the other on faith.
 
Very often, we demand that God proves himself to us.  We will believe if He does this or does that.  Paul said that the Jews demanded a sign in order for them to believe.  1 Corinthians 1:21-23 “For since, in the wisdom of God, the world through wisdom did not know God, it pleased God through the foolishness of the message preached to save those who believe. For Jews request a sign, and Greeks seek after wisdom; but we preach Christ crucified, to the Jews a stumbling block and to the Greeks foolishness”
 
John 20:24-29 “Now Thomas (also known as Didymus), one of the Twelve, was not with the disciples when Jesus came. So the other disciples told him, “We have seen the Lord!” But he said to them, “Unless I see the nail marks in his hands and put my finger where the nails were, and put my hand into his side, I will not believe.”  A week later his disciples were in the house again, and Thomas was with them. Though the doors were locked, Jesus came and stood among them and said, “Peace be with you!” Then he said to Thomas, “Put your finger here; see my hands. Reach out your hand and put it into my side. Stop doubting and believe.” Thomas said to him, “My Lord and my God!” Then Jesus told him, “Because you have seen me, you have believed; blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed.

The same faith that is required for us to trust in God to be saved is the same faith needed to live our lives after we are saved.  Hebrews 11:1 “Now faith is confidence in what we hope for and assurance about what we do not see.”
 
That is not to say that God will not act on our behalf .. but our confidence in Him must not be based upon what He can do for us but on who He is ,,, on the one hand we want Him to serve us .. on the other .. we serve Him.
 
Bondye Beni Ou (God Bless You)

No comments: