Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Putting On The New Man

My Utmost For His Highest

‘You did not do anything to achieve your salvation, but you must do something to exhibit it. You must “work out your own salvation” which God has worked in you already (Philippians 2:12). Are your speech, your thinking, and your emotions evidence that you are working it “out”? If you are still the same miserable, grouchy person, set on having your own way, then it is a lie to say that God has saved and sanctified you.’ CHAMBERS

As I walk in this new life, I have noticed my tendency to re-define what is acceptable behavior as a child of God.  It’s not that I don’t know what the Word says, but somehow I have convinced myself that some of it doesn’t really apply to me .. like it does to others.  I may have certain habits or likes that run counter to the Word .. but I am able to rationalize them or justify them … for me … take for example   Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy--meditate on these things.” (Philippians 4:8)

What should I focus my mental energies on?  But when I put my brain on idle … what do I entertain it with?  Television?  Let’s see … sex, drugs, violence, profanity, dysfunction .. Movies?  No different … But I can justify it … I’m OK with it .. Philippians does not mean that I should not watch my favorite TV shows or Movies … does it?  Does what I watch or read or listen to affect my faith?

Or maybe there are certain words that I like to use in my conversation.  Or just when I get mad.

“Let no corrupt word proceed out of your mouth, but what is good for necessary edification, that it may impart grace to the hearers.” (Ephesians 4:29)

(Col 3:6-10)  “Because of these things the wrath of God is coming upon the sons of disobedience, in which you yourselves once walked when you lived in them. But now you yourselves are to put off all these: anger, wrath, malice, blasphemy, filthy language out of your mouth. Do not lie to one another, since you have put off the old man with his deeds, and have put on the new man who is renewed in knowledge according to the image of Him who created him…..”

Does the Bible really mean that a little swear word now and again is wrong? First you said I could not listen to them and now you are saying that I can’t say them or should not even think them, even if I get mad ….It is so easy to dilute the purity of the life we have been called to. Did you notice that Colossians says we are to put on the NEW man? This life we have been called to… that we now live … is contrary to our old nature. Our old nature continues to rise back up in us .. and it always seems so reasonable until you measure it against the Word.

Bondye Beni Ou (God Bless You)

No comments: