Thursday, March 14, 2024

The Word - Both Sweet And Bitter

"Then the voice which I heard from heaven spoke to me again and said, “Go, take the little book which is open in the hand of the angel who stands on the sea and on the earth.” So I went to the angel and said to him, “Give me the little book.” And he said to me, “Take and eat it; and it will make your stomach bitter, but it will be as sweet as honey in your mouth.” Then I took the little book out of the angel’s hand and ate it, and it was as sweet as honey in my mouth. But when I had eaten it, my stomach became bitter. And he said to me, “You must prophesy again about many peoples, nations, tongues, and kings." - Revelation 10:8-11

The Word that comes from God is sweet and it is bitter at the same time.  I love jalapeños - hot ones. I remember once I was preparing a meal with my son. I used to buy them in a big jar. It was sitting on the counter and as I cooked and talked I would reach into the jar and eat a jalapeño slice.  My son was watching me and then he reached into the jar, pulled out a slice and put it in his mouth. In a moment his eyes got big, started to water and he spit the jalapeño into the sink. The taste and the heat was intolerable to him, but I loved it - still do. 

It is the same with the Word of God. I love the Word of God and I am certain you do as well, else you would not be reading this. David wrote in Psalm 19

"The law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul; The testimony of the Lord is sure, making wise the simple; The statutes of the Lord are right, rejoicing the heart; The commandment of the Lord is pure, enlightening the eyes; The fear of the Lord is clean, enduring forever; The judgments of the Lord are true and righteous altogether. More to be desired are they than gold, Yea, than much fine gold; Sweeter also than honey and the honeycomb. Moreover, by them Your servant is warned, And in keeping them there is great reward." - Psalm 19:7-11

For the Child of God the Word can be sweet and bitter. It blesses and brings conviction of sin. For the one whose heart is far from God it brings condemnation. It exposes a sinful heart. It is bitter in the stomach. Unless the Spirit of God is stirring a sinner's heart to repentance and salvation do not expect someone to thank you for sharing Truth with them. In fact, they are more likely to curse you. That person might even be someone that you love. Even so, do not forsake your calling to be salt and light. Salt can sting and light can hurt your eyes. 

Think about it – Pray about it – Believe it – Walk in it. Let your light shine and give God the glory.

By Faith Alone By His Grace Alone And For His Glory Alone


No comments: