Thursday, March 7, 2024

Keep Your Eyes On Jesus

"But when the disciples saw him walking on the sea, they were terrified, and said, “It is a ghost!” and they cried out in fear. But immediately Jesus spoke to them, saying, “Take heart; it is I. Do not be afraid.” And Peter answered him, “Lord, if it is you, command me to come to you on the water.” He said, “Come.” So, Peter got out of the boat and walked on the water and came to Jesus. But when he saw the wind, he was afraid, and beginning to sink he cried out, “Lord, save me.” Jesus immediately reached out his hand and took hold of him, saying to him, “O you of little faith, why did you doubt?" - Matthew 14:26-31

I am certain you have heard this story in sermons and read the account yourself in the Bible.  Maybe you have been like Peter at some point in the past. Peter saw Jesus and wanted to join Him. He stepped out in faith but then realized the human impossibility of what he was doing. Defying the natural laws. He stopped looking at Jesus and started relying on himself and focused on the trouble that was all around. To his regret.

I often tell people that God will never ask you to do anything for Him and with Him that you can without Him on your own. We too soon forget that what God asks us or calls us to do is a spiritual matter not a natural one. I think, often times, we are prone to read the Bible, nod our heads in agreement, but not consider what that Truth means with respect to how we live our new lives.

"I am the vine; you are the branches. Whoever abides in me and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing." - John 15:5

We are totally dependent upon Jesus and faith.  "Apart from (Him) we can do nothing".  Nothing of eternal significance. I have talked to a number of Christians who share some significant spiritual event in their lives and then about how exhausted they were when it was over. I experienced it myself and believe the reason for the exhaustion is that we were no longer filled with the power of the Holy Spirit and our natural bodies felt the true weight of what they had just experienced in the strength of the Spirit.  

"This is the word of the Lord to Zerubbabel: ‘Not by might nor by power, but by My Spirit,’ Says the Lord of hosts." - Zechariah 4:6

Always be ready to go when the Lord says "Go!" and do what the Lord says "Do". But don't forget to keep your eyes on Jesus! 

Think about it – Pray about it – Believe it – Walk in it. Let your light shine and give God the glory.

By Faith Alone By His Grace Alone And For His Glory Alone

No comments: