Tuesday, May 9, 2023

Worshipping The Right Thing

 

"I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me." - Galatians 2:20

This is a picture of a cross made by a good friend and partner in the Gospel, John Turnbull. John is with the Lord now. John lived in Northern California among the Redwoods.  He made crosses from Redwood for Pathfinder Mission that we gave to each family in Mississippi after we finished restoring their homes. John gave Martie and me this cross for our home - whether it be a conventional home, and RV or a rental in Jacmel or Jeremie Haiti.

On one occasion, while we were in Haiti, I was asked by a Haitian woman why Americans worshipped the cross. Initially I was surprised by the question, but then after thinking about realized that from an outsider's perspective we seem to have an infatuation with crosses which might be construed as idol worship. Something that Haitian Christians have rejected when they embraced salvation by grace through faith. Just like you and me.

The most significant thing that has happened to me had eternal consequences. All of my accomplishments in this life pale in significance to the day that I laid my life down in faith in the One who was crucified for my sin - paid the eternal penalty for me falling short of the glory of God. What we do while we breathe the air on this planet will fade with our passing from our natural life. Like the hand in the bucket of water. Once you remove your hand, the water will settle and there will be no evidence that you hand was in it at all. 

The cross is not something to be revered and worshipped. That reverence and worship is reserved for the One who was crucified on that cross. It is a reminder that - 

"It’s about the cross. It’s about my sin. It’s about how Jesus came to be born once. So that we could be born again. It’s about the stone. That was rolled away. So that you and I could have real life someday  It’s about the cross" - It’s About The Cross, Words and music by Jamison J. Statema, © 2006 Found Free Music (ASCAP)

But it is not really about the cross, it's all about Jesus and all about grace!

Think about it – Pray about it – Believe it – Walk in it. Let your light shine and give God the glory.

By Faith Alone By His Grace Alone And For His Glory Alone



No comments: