Tuesday, May 30, 2023

Til The River Runs Dry

"But whatever gain I had, I counted as loss for the sake of Christ. Indeed, I count everything as loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord. For his sake I have suffered the loss of all things and count them as rubbish, in order that I may gain Christ and be found in him, not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law, but that which comes through faith in Christ, the righteousness from God that depends on faith— that I may know him and the power of his resurrection, and may share his sufferings, becoming like him in his death, that by any means possible I may attain the resurrection from the dead. Not that I have already obtained this or am already perfect, but I press on to make it my own, because Christ Jesus has made me his own. Brothers, I do not consider that I have made it my own. But one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead, I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus. Let those of us who are mature think this way" - Philippians 3:7-15

I was only going to include verses 13-15, but as I reread the verses that preceded them, I realized that they give context to the last three verses. I have made it a habit to listen for the Spirit to speak through the everyday. As the days of my life pass by and I know that there are so many more behind me than are ahead of me in this natural life, I am constantly aware that I must make the most from every day - hour - minute - second of life that God grants me.

There is a temptation, particularly in this culture, to want to get out of the harness of doing, and find a green pasture to rest - relax - enjoy not straining against that harness. Not just in the work we do to earn a living - but in life in general.  I heard the Spirit just yesterday as I listened to a song by Garth Brooks - Sail My Vessel. One phrase in particular, "I'm  gonna sail my vessel 'til the river runs dry", reminded me of Philippians 3:13-14.  

It was an answer, I think, to a question that Martie and I have been grappling with. What question? "How long Lord?" How long will He ask us to drop everything and go. Not that we are weary of well doing or that we regret saying "yes" when He says "Go". We live an amazing life - not because of us, but because of Him and what He leads us to.

I tell people that I would rather burn out than rust out. Our RV is in a field next to a pond where I have set up a storage container production line. We are also in the traffic pattern for a public airport. I listen to small airplanes flying the pattern, over and over again. They takeoff, climb to 1500 feet or so and then reduce power to fly downwind. My fellow aviators are all too familiar with that drill. It is the reducing power that I am focusing on. Following God requires that you are always on the climb. There is not a time to cruise.

Each step of faith requires more faith, not less. We are tempted to reduce power - to set it to cruise - to relax and enjoy the view. But God has not called us to that life - not any of us. You may not be asked to do what we do. You don't have to leave your home or your family and friends to continue the climb. But this I encourage you to do - whatever God calls you to - sail you vessel 'til the river runs dry and the Lord calls you home.

Think about it – Pray about it – Believe it – Walk in it. Let your light shine and give God the glory.

By Faith Alone By His Grace Alone And For His Glory Alone

No comments: