Monday, May 8, 2023

The Most Important Thing

"Jesus answered them and said, “Most assuredly, I say to you, you seek Me, not because you saw the signs, but because you ate of the loaves and were filled. Do not labor for the food which perishes, but for the food which endures to everlasting life, which the Son of Man will give you, because God the Father has set His seal on Him." - John 6:26-27

The people followed after Jesus because He had fed them and they wanted more food. That thought challenged me. What is the most important thing about my relationship with Jesus? All too often my desire to be close to God is focused on satisfying my natural - earthly needs. Physical health - paying my bills - avoiding personal hardship.

The thing is, those things are not nearly so important to God as they are to me?  I might be tempted to accuse God of not caring about my circumstances? Is it OK that things don't go my way. Is material benefit the reason I seek God? A Janis Joplin song just flashed through my mind - 

"Oh Lord, won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz? My friends all drive Porsches, I must make amends Worked hard all my lifetime, no help from my friends So, oh Lord, won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz?

Oh Lord, won't you buy me a color TV? Dialing For Dollars [ today it would be the lottery] is trying to find me I wait for delivery each day until three  So, oh Lord, won't you buy me a color TV?"

Jesus said that I should be more concerned with eternal food or nourishment. Being saved is not something that happens and then we move on with our natural life. It is what defines us. Or should define us. Having an eternal perspective will cause the natural to fade in significance. 

"In the meantime His disciples urged Him, saying, “Rabbi, eat.” But He said to them, “I have food to eat of which you do not know.” Therefore the disciples said to one another, “Has anyone brought Him anything to eat?” Jesus said to them, “My food is to do the will of Him who sent Me, and to finish His work." - John 4:31-34

There is nothing wrong with satisfying your hunger. What is wrong is that we lack spiritual perspective. The disciples did not get it. And I am afraid most Christians don't either.

Think about it – Pray about it – Believe it – Walk in it. Let your light shine and give God the glory.

By Faith Alone By His Grace Alone And For His Glory Alone


No comments: