Monday, May 29, 2023

No Greater Love

 "Greater love has no one than this, that someone lay down his life for his friends." - John15:13


That verse speaks of Jesus' sacrifice motivated by the great love the Father and the Son share for mankind.  Jesus was willing to go to the cross for us. In a similar way - people serving in the military are willing to lay their lives down for their countrymen and in the greater scheme for the freedom and benefit of others who are oppressed. Not everyone who joins the military is exposed to hostile fire, but everyone takes the same oath and is prepared to do what is necessary to defend the people of this country and beyond.

This picture is a rubbing from the Vietnam war memorial. Donald "Don" Lukens was my best friend from first grade until our junior year in high school. His dad worked for Cummins Diesel and his work moved him further upstate. 

Don and I spent a lot of time together as young boys. We had a special call to let one another know that we were near. We explored the woods that surrounded the area where we lived. We climbed cliffs - well cliffs to us, but probably not more than 15 or 20 feet high. We did what boys do. We were fearless. We were best friends.

After graduation we both joined the Army. I was an enlisted soldier and Don went to Warrant Officer Candidate school to become a helicopter pilot. Something we called High School to Flight School. Then we both went to Vietnam at the same time. I didn't know that while I was there.

On May 25, 1970 Don was killed in action. My parents did not tell me about his death until I returned home later that November.  The record says he died when his Huey helicopter crash landed. Another record written by the Pilot in Command (PIC) said Don was shot and killed while flying, actually before the aircraft landed. The PIC added that Don's nickname was "Goose" which predates the Goose on Top Gun. Either way, the point is that Don gave his life on that day, for you and for me.

It is a good thing that we remember the fallen. And it is a good thing that we remember Jesus - the one who set the standard for how we should live our lives. Ready to give of ourselves, to sacrifice, for the benefit of others. 

I am reminded of the Paul's admonition to husbands with respect to their wives in Ephesians

"Husbands, love your wives, as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her" - Ephesians 5:25

It is the same principle - just more specific. I don't know if Don was a Christian when he died. I know that I was not until 1976. I went on to become a pilot in the Army myself. Reflecting on the "why" I think I was motivated to continue where my friend left off. To continue the legacy if you will.  And in a way that is what we are to do as Christians -  to continue the legacy of sacrifice for the benefit of others - just like Jesus did.

Think about it – Pray about it – Believe it – Walk in it. Let your light shine and give God the glory.

By Faith Alone By His Grace Alone And For His Glory Alone


No comments: