Wednesday, January 20, 2021

Staying In The Fight When You Feel Like Running!

And now the Lord says—he who formed me in the womb to be his servant to bring Jacob back to him and gather Israel to himself, for I am honored in the eyes of the Lord and my God has been my strength— he says: ‘It is too small a thing for you to be my servant to restore the tribes of Jacob and bring back those of Israel I have kept. I will also make you a light for the Gentiles, that my salvation may reach to the ends of the earth.’” – Isaiah 49:5-6

<Journal Entry 12 Sep 2011> OK, so maybe I am feeling a little bit like Elijah! – Rejoicing in the power and demonstration of the Lord one minute – and hiding in a cave the next. – Spirit fill me you’re your presence and power – that people would give glory to God for what is done – It’s not by might nor by power but by His Spirit!  What can wash away my sin? Nothing but the blood of Jesus. What can make me whole again? Nothing but the blood of Jesus – He is the way to the Father – He is the Truth. Defining how we live, how we relate to man and God, He is the life – the only source of eternal life – no one comes to the Father except by Jesus.  The Word is showing up in my heart – maybe the volunteers are next! That’s all for now <End of Entry>

I had agreed to do the impossible and was struggling with the fact that the waves were building. Before we went to Mississippi we had a boat that we would use in the Gulf to fish. A small boat, but a boat nonetheless. I would not venture into the Gulf unless the wave forecast was 2 feet or less. A time or two the waves did not obey the forecast. We would pack it in and go back to the bay. We all have our limits on what we are willing to do. The place where we find it hard to trust God. The point where common sense kicks in and we say – “I can’t go any farther than this!” (Some readers might prefer the word “further” if so feel free to substitute it) I was alone at sea – having cast off from the shores of all I knew – facing an impossible task. Where we place our trust is a lot like flipping a light switch – one moment we are fulling trusting God and then “click” we are fully trusting in ourselves.

Let not mercy and truth forsake you; Bind them around your neck, Write them on the tablet of your heart, And so find favor and high esteem In the sight of God and man. Trust in the Lord with all your heart, And lean not on your own understanding; In all your ways acknowledge Him, And He shall direct your paths. Do not be wise in your own eyes; Fear the Lord and depart from evil. It will be health to your flesh, And strength to your bones.” – Proverbs 3:3-8

I quote verses 5 and 6 often but it is so important that we remember the “book ends” for those verses. Hold fast to God’s mercy and truth – bind them around our necks – write them on our hearts. Don’t depend upon your wisdom but defer to the Lord’s.

“For My thoughts are not your thoughts, Nor are your ways My ways,” says the Lord. “For as the heavens are higher than the earth, So are My ways higher than your ways, And My thoughts than your thoughts.” – Isaiah 55:8-9

We might try to do good things – the right things – but lack the power of God to accomplish them.  There is a spiritual reality that the world cannot see because it is blind to spiritual things. There is a difference between a lost person giving someone a drink of water and a Christian doing the same. In the second, it is done with the power of God behind it. The spiritual cannot be seen – but it is at work.

I wrote those words yesterday but thought they fit in nicely today. As born again children of God we live a life of faith – which, at its core is trust. Dependence upon a God who we have not seen – but what we have seen is His inexplicable works through the lives of those He has called and adopted through their faith in His Son. Don’t let the light of the truth dim in your everyday going about – it can and will if you are not careful. That is why I write these devotions -for your encouragement – certainly – but for mine as well.

In two days Martie and I celebrate our 49th year of marriage – I used to marvel at couples that had been married for a long time – and now, here we are – looking back the vows we made on our wedding day have new meaning – we have lived through them – not just talked about them – imagined them. We have persevered – together. That is really what the vows are about – but for two 21 year olds – the reality of those words, then, escaped us – hoped but not yet lived – there would be many struggles not yet overcome. We are looking for many more days ahead  – how many only God knows – but we will continue to serve – continue to fight the good fight until the day the He calls us home.

Be encouraged. Shine Bright my friend and give God the glory He is due.

By Faith Alone By His Grace Alone And For His Glory Alone

No comments: