Friday, January 22, 2021

Sin Simplified

 for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God” – Romans 3:23

Have you ever had an epiphany? (a usually sudden manifestation or perception of the essential nature or meaning of something) I have a time or two. It is like being hit in the head by a baseball that you didn’t see coming. It is shocking but typically is not accompanied with the pain that a baseball would bring with it. Although, it might be disruptive to your habits or thinking depending upon what the manifestation or perception about that “something” was.

So do I have you on the edge of your seat? As I was winding my way through the hills of central Texas to celebrate our anniversary with my bride – POW! SOCK! There it was like a big bug hitting the windshield – the thought hit me right between the eyes. So here it is!

Sin – in its simplest form is nothing more than a variance or deviation from God’s will and creative physical, emotional, moral, and relational intent. God’s demand for compliance is unbending – without compromise – The consequence for comprise is separation from the Creator God. Our human – Adamic ability to satisfy God’s demand for compliance was lost in the Garden – but regained through the Cross by the Second Adam. Yet – though we are saved by faith – We continue to sin. That is a mystery – one which Theologians have struggled with for years.  For some – with respect to eternal life – sin after you are born again has no effect on where you will spend eternity. For some – unconfessed sin for the born again Believer at the point of their death will void their ticket and they will be denied entry at the Gates of Heaven. And for others – sin results in loss of salvation and they must not just confess their post re-birth sins but must be re-born again to get a new ticket.

But that is not the point of my writing this. It has nothing to do with my epiphany. No – what struck me was that – in large – the American Christian culture has embraced the idea that there is room for compromise. That the Word of God is open for debate. The question that was birthed in the Garden has gained momentum among those who call Jesus Lord and God, Father. What question? “Did God really say you will surely die?” That question.  Christians have yielded to what makes sense to them as the standard of compliance to the Word. What makes them comfortable around others – what they wish were true – what they wish God had said instead of what He has said. 

There is much talk about our country being in trouble – but I would say that the more important issue is that the Body of Christ is in trouble –

because, although they knew God, they did not glorify Him as God, nor were thankful, but became futile in their thoughts, and their foolish hearts were darkened. Professing to be wise, they became fools, and changed the glory of the incorruptible God into an image made like corruptible man—and birds and four-footed animals and creeping things. Therefore God also gave them up to uncleanness, in the lusts of their hearts, to dishonor their bodies among themselves, who exchanged the truth of God for the lie, and worshiped and served the creature rather than the Creator, who is blessed forever.” – Romans 1:21-25

A number of verses scrolled across my mind as I drove. My thoughts caused me to examine my heart and the compromises I have made in the name of tolerance, entertainment, and cordiality. It is one thing to not judge others and yet another to embrace their sin as acceptable and convince yourself that it is not “really” in conflict with the Word of God.  How to show the love of God toward the sinner without castigating them for the sin that they flaunt in God’s face.  My epiphany has brought me to a place of reflection – introspection – confession – but the real question is will it bring me to a place of change. It has brought me to a place where I hear the Prophet Nathan confronting David ….

So David’s anger was greatly aroused against the man, and he said to Nathan, ‘As the Lord lives, the man who has done this shall surely die!  And he shall restore fourfold for the lamb, because he did this thing and because he had no pity.’ Then Nathan said to David, ‘You are the man!’” –  2 Samuel 12:5-7

Ugh! I remember the days just after my salvation. My insatiable hunger for the Word – like a new born baby is hungry. My amazement at what had happened and the feeling in my heart of peace and freedom. But so naïve and unaware about what was to come – temptation to return to what had been natural and reasonable. But oh how sweet were those days when …..

As the deer pants for the water brooks, So pants my soul for You, O God.  My soul thirsts for God, for the living God.” – Psalm 42:1-2

How about you?

Be encouraged. Shine Bright my friend and give God the glory He is due.

By Faith Alone By His Grace Alone And For His Glory Alone


No comments: