Thursday, January 14, 2021

Don’t Rob God Of His Glory

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.” – Philippians 4:13

<Journal Entry 29 August 2011> Where has the time gone? We are making great progress on the orphanage. I have two days left after today with Doug – Lord, You know where we will be when he leaves to return to California.  You are still the Provider. This work reminds me of how weak I am when stepping out for God – it is like Peter walking on the water – he could so long as his focus was on Jesus & not himself – when it was – he began to sink – and so will I. It is a Biblical truth – a principle – like a natural law – that must be applied or failure will surely follow. <End of Entry>

When I arrived in Haiti the summer of 2011, I was asked to do the impossible – convert 6 shipping containers into a functioning orphanage in two months. A monumental task to be sure.  When I told a Haitian pastor when I planned to have the work completed, he laughed and said nothing gets done quickly in Haiti.  I looked him in the eyes and said “Pastor – Sarah laughed.” It is so easy to look at what God calls us to do in the weakness of our flesh and doubt. On the first of October the children walked through the gate of a completed orphanage. Was that because I am so good – so competent – No! It is because God brought certain events together that were impossible for me to orchestrate. I have marveled at what God has accomplished and will accomplish through willing hands and feet.  We must be careful to not take credit for what God has done.  I think about what was done in Haiti – the part I had in it and the fact that my name is no longer associated with that work. But God's name is. You see that is the difference. He is the potter and we are the clay. We are vessels to be used by God for His glory and the good of others. Often, we want to be remembered, but not for the right reason. I am thinking about when David numbered the people.

So the king said to Joab the commander of the army who was with him, ‘Now go throughout all the tribes of Israel, from Dan to Beersheba, and count the people, that I may know the number of the people.’  And Joab said to the king, ‘Now may the Lord your God add to the people a hundred times more than there are, and may the eyes of my lord the king see it. But why does my lord the king desire this thing?’ Nevertheless the king’s word prevailed against Joab and against the captains of the army. Therefore Joab and the captains of the army went out from the presence of the king to count the people of Israel. – And David’s heart condemned him after he had numbered the people. So David said to the Lord, ‘I have sinned greatly in what I have done; but now, I pray, O Lord, take away the iniquity of Your servant, for I have done very foolishly.’” – 2 Samuel 24:3-4, 10

David had taken personal pride in his accomplishments, robbing God of His glory. It is such an easy thing to do – so common to begin to think that it is you and not God who has done what has been done. The only thing I can take credit for, in all that I have done is to say “yes” to God. We must be careful that we don’t think to highly of ourselves (Romans 12:3) but always acknowledge the truth that what God calls us to do is impossible without Him. The temptation is to forget that.  If you consider the two verses before that – Paul urged the readers to offer themselves and their pride of accomplishment to God – to lay themselves down as living sacrifices and not to be conformed to the worlds way of thinking. Everything that you do for God is done by the power of God. Try to not forget that. I remind myself of that every time someone wants to give me credit because of my service. Not a bad habit to have.

This is the word of the Lord …. ‘Not by might nor by power, but by My Spirit,’ Says the Lord of hosts.” – Zechariah 4:6

Shine Bright my friend and give God the glorify He is due.

By Faith Alone By His Grace Alone And For His Glory Alone

No comments: