Tuesday, January 19, 2021

Facing Life’s Difficult Moments

Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God;  and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.” – Philippians 4:6-7

<Journal Entry 12 Sep 2011> Not many more weeks until the 1st of October. I am sitting here by myself today – that doesn’t mean I am idle – I have had a steady stream of visitors – all of them here for something other than to see me. Jonas (a Haitian worker) was here and then his head hurt and he would come back tomorrow. So much for plan A, B , C & D! I sense spiritual attacks after speaking at a local church yesterday. I must be ready for battle – the Lord is calling me to it. I sense a special connection with Davidson – I am suspicious of Samuel. With as authoritarian as XXXXXXXX (a missionary) seems to be I am surprised that he is reluctant to speak in front of people – I think he uses his brazen attitude to cloak his insecurities ( a good offense is the best defense) he thrives on affirmation. I am supposed to get volunteers from Calvary Chapel this afternoon.  The guys showed up – one – Charlie – knows how to use a saw – good attitude – only broke 2 jigsaw blades so far – got 2 left – Got the tractor running then the engine quit – who knows why? Well, maybe tomorrow.<End of Entry>

As I reread these journal entries – random thoughts about the events of the day, I am reminded of God’s provision. He is a just in time God. I am also reminded that you cannot take a picture of today and think that is what tomorrow will bring. It is in our nature to be  a bit pessimistic – some call it being realistic – Things don’t always work out – true, but God is always on the Throne.  Building the orphanage in Jacmel was a huge spiritual lesson for me – it was like a furnace testing my faith. There were days when I stumbled – taking my eyes off of Jesus, just for a moment – not long – and looked at the circumstances or the people – we all do it. God taught me that while life in this world is uncertain – He can be trusted – oh there are so many verses streaming through my mind right now. I think I will share two or three.

So He said, “Come.” And when Peter had come down out of the boat, he walked on the water to go to Jesus. But when he saw that the wind was boisterous, he was afraid; and beginning to sink he cried out, saying, ‘Lord, save me!’ And immediately Jesus stretched out His hand and caught him, and said to him, ‘O you of little faith, why did you doubt?’” – Matthew 14:29-31

Why do I doubt – why do we doubt – because we lose sight of Jesus and focus on our circumstances.

Then some of the itinerant Jewish exorcists took it upon themselves to call the name of the Lord Jesus over those who had evil spirits, saying, ‘We exorcise you by the Jesus whom Paul preaches.’  Also there were seven sons of Sceva, a Jewish chief priest, who did so.  And the evil spirit answered and said, ‘Jesus I know, and Paul I know; but who are you?’ Then the man in whom the evil spirit was leaped on them, overpowered them, and prevailed against them, so that they fled out of that house naked and wounded.” – Acts 19:13-16

We might try to do good things – the right things – but lack the power of God to accomplish them.  There is a spiritual reality that the world cannot see because it is blind to spiritual things. There is a difference between a lost person giving someone a drink of water and a Christian doing the same. In the second, it is done with the power of God behind it. The spiritual cannot be seen – but it is at work.

But even if our gospel is veiled, it is veiled to those who are perishing, whose minds the god of this age has blinded, who do not believe, lest the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine on them. For we do not preach ourselves, but Christ Jesus the Lord, and ourselves your bondservants for Jesus’ sake. For it is the God who commanded light to shine out of darkness, who has shone in our hearts to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ. But we have this treasure in earthen vessels, that the excellence of the power may be of God and not of us. We are hard-pressed on every side, yet not crushed; we are perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted, but not forsaken; struck down, but not destroyed”— 2 Corinthians 4:3-9

What challenges are you facing today? Is God asking you to do more than you think is possible. Has He called you out of the boat? Are there people in your life that challenge your patience and perhaps your witness? Do you feel like you are alone – facing insurmountable odds? Things are just not going your way? This is a song by Don Moen based upon Isaiah 35:4-10

Say to those who are fearful hearted - Do not be afraid - The Lord your God - Is strong with His mighty arms - When you call on His name - He will come and save

Say to those who are broken hearted - Do not lose your faith - The Lord your God - Is strong with His loving arms When you call on His name - He will come and save

And He will come and save you - He will come and save you - Say to the weary one - YOUR GOD WILL SURELY COME - He will come and save you.

And He will come and save you - He will come and save you - Lift up your eyes to Him - You will arise again - He will come and save you.

He is our refuge in the day of trouble - He is our shelter in the time of storm - He is our tower in the day of sorrow - Our fortress in the time of war”

Shine Bright my friend and give God the glorify He is due.

By Faith Alone By His Grace Alone And For His Glory Alone

No comments: