Thursday, December 3, 2020

We Don't Go To Church - We Are The Church

“I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me.” —Galatians 2:20

“We must continually focus and firmly place our faith in Jesus Christ— not a “prayer meeting” Jesus Christ, or a “book” Jesus Christ, but the New Testament Jesus Christ, who is God Incarnate, and who ought to strike us dead at His feet. Our faith must be in the One from whom our salvation springs. Jesus Christ wants our absolute, unrestrained devotion to Himself. We can never experience Jesus Christ, or selfishly bind Him in the confines of our own hearts. Our faith must be built on strong determined confidence in Him.” – Oswald Chambers, My Utmost For His Highest

Martie and I heard a great sermon by a preacher from Indonesia.  Christians from other countries, particularly Third World countries, have a different perspective on the brand of Christianity that is prevalent in the United States.  He said that Christians in the United States define attending a church service in one of three ways.  1. As a Gas station.  That is where we go each Sunday to “fill up” spiritually so we can get through another week. 2. As a Cinema.  We go each Sunday to watch a show, maybe have an emotional response to what we see or hear, but take away nothing that might influence how we live. And 3. As a super-market.  A one stop shop.  We have a need that must be met … we go have that need met. The bottom line in all three, it is all about us and what we get out of it .. for us. And we are never satisfied.

Attending the church service is a celebration, not the be all end all.  It is a gathering of His Church. The purpose of the Church assembling is not simply to make me comfortable and feel good. Corporate worship is certainly important for our spiritual health. To be encouraged, to be taught and reminded of spiritual truth. For some people it is the only time they feel free to express their faith.  Jesus said “Where two or three are gathered”.  (Matthew 18:20) There is an undeniable spiritual dynamic when Christians gather. This COVID pandemic as turned the practice of assembling on its ear. Christians in the Untied States have spent millions perhaps billions of dollars on buildings. And we find ourselves watching the pastor preach in an empty building or perhaps to a small sampling of the regular attenders.  Yet I find my faith strong. A reminder that the Church is not a building, it is not physical but spiritual.  People united by faith and the Spirit of God.  In a way, the Church has been scattered, but technology has made it possible to assemble in a different way. 

Jesus wants us to be disciples so we can be a fishers of men (people) like Jesus, not merely to make us better people, better than our neighbor.  Jesus said “Go!”  Jesus said “Pick up your cross and follow Me.”  Do what Jesus did.  Jesus said “Lay down your life for others.”  Jesus said “Love God with everything you have.”  Jesus said “If you love Me, then do what I say.”  When God told Joshua, to obey His Word, and then Joshua would be prosperous and successful, does your mind go to material wealth and personal success? That is your flesh speaking.  The Word says do not love the world or the things of this world.  Love God.  So how does that fit your idea of Christianity and the Church?  The proof of your belief is not in what you say you believe, but in how you live that belief out day by day not just on Sunday. 

Don’t waste this season, difficult as it might be.  Use it as a time to draw closer to God. To consider your reason for being. You may feel like Elijah in the cave – alone and perhaps afraid. Listen for God’s voice. Just like with Elijah – it is a still small voice. (I was struggling with including a story in this devotion . The thought won’t leave me so I will)  In 1995 I was on staff with Promise Keepers, a national men’s ministry. I was attending a Pastor’s conference in Atlanta, where over 40,000 pastors and ministry leaders assembled.  It was amazing.  There was a time of prayer when we are called to absolute silence in the building.  As I stood in the Georgia Dome looking at the mass of Christian men assembled, I wondered “God how are you going to show yourself? Are you going to open the roof reveal your Shekinah glory? We were asked to close our eyes. But I must confess I peaked. What I saw was a dove flying around in the dome -  a single dove. I closed my eyes again thinking I was imagining the dove. After the prayer, the guy standing next to me asked, “Did you see that dove flying around?” So it was not my imagination.  What proof that God is present in the midst of all of this turmoil are you looking for? It may not be what you hope for.  I love the English language and what you can do with it.  I saw this some time back. GODISNOWHERE.   Some people see – God is no where.  Others see – God is now here.  What do you see? What do you believe? Something to think about …

By Faith Alone By His Grace Alone And For His Glory Alone

No comments: