Monday, December 21, 2020

Going And Doing Without Knowing

The God of glory appeared to our father Abraham when he was in Mesopotamia, before he dwelt in Haran, and said to him, ‘Get out of your country and from your relatives, and come to a land that I will show you.’ Then he came out of the land of the Chaldeans and dwelt in Haran. And from there, when his father was dead, He moved him to this land in which you now dwell.” – Acts 7:3-4

 <Entry>  11 Jan 2011.  As I talk with people on the (volunteer) team and recount the story of how we came to be where we are in our walk – I wonder – Lord where are we going? But then I think – does it really matter?  Like Abraham – is the Lord saying – I’ll show you when you get there – I find myself offering advice when it is not asked for – who am I to tell these people anything? Lord that I would keep silent – let the Lord speak to them. I do feel like the odd man out – I am here to observe – that is my purpose – the younger and skilled should be allowed to do what they came here to do. Watching my friend struggling physically – I see myself – we are not young men but we have young hearts – we want to serve – to disciple – there are things we can no longer do – but there are those we can – Lord strengthen us for the journey you have set our feet on. < End of Entry>

I had no idea what the journey God had laid out for Martie and me would be like – but He used nearly every experience, ability and gifting to accomplish it. And we are still not finished.  And neither are you my friend. Be careful that you don’t become satisfied with your past service and consider it to be enough.

No one, when he has lit a lamp, puts it in a secret place or under a basket, but on a lampstand, that those who come in may see the light.” – Luke 11:33

Abraham was an old man when God sent Him off. As we grow older, the temptation is for us to withdraw – to yield to the younger Christians to do the work.  There are things that we are not physically able to do – but that does not mean we should put our lamp under a basket. People I serve with tell me about my wisdom – which frankly I don’t see – but apparently they do.  Wisdom is knowledge plus experience. Godly wisdom is meant to be shared. In my journal entry, I expressed concern about giving my opinion to the volunteer team when it was not asked for. There are times when the Spirit of God will prompt us to speak – and we should with the motive of building up the ones we are speaking to and glorifying God with our words, attitudes and actions which is good and then …… there are times when we don’t wait for the Spirit’s prompting – and that is never good – even though we might be convinced that we were justified.

By Faith Alone By His Grace Alone And For His Glory Alone

No comments: