Wednesday, December 30, 2020

Amazing Grace How Sweet The Sound

 “Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new. Now all things are of God, who has reconciled us to Himself through Jesus Christ, and has given us the ministry of reconciliation, that is, that God was in Christ reconciling the world to Himself, not imputing their trespasses to them, and has committed to us the word of reconciliation. Now then, we are ambassadors for Christ, as though God were pleading through us: we implore you on Christ’s behalf, be reconciled to God. For He made Him who knew no sin to be sin for us, that we might become the righteousness of God in Him.’” – 2 Corinthians 5:17-21

 <Journal Entry 16 January 2011> While I was at the [new church we were building] in Callitore – the local people were meeting under a make-shift tent [tarps draped ever bushes and supported with poles cut from trees] The people were singing Amazing Grace in Creole.  I thought what a paradox – these people whose heritage is bound to slavery were singing a song written by a man who brought slaves from Africa – perhaps to this very island – before he repented and accepted Christ as Savior. I also heard a cook singing Feliz Navidad by Jose Feliciano.  Sitting here [in Port au Prince (PAP)] at the airport on our way home. I am watching so many people who have come to help – Port au Prince is a mess! I don’t know how it can be restored- but I do see how people outside of PAP can be – one village at a time. <End of Entry>

Hearing the Haitian Christians sing Amazing Grace was something that clarified what I already knew. God is in the business of redeeming that which was lost through His Son. John Newton was a slave ship captain who came to faith. In his words, “How industrious is Satan served. I was formerly one of his active under-temptors and had my influence been equal to my wishes I would have carried all the human race with me. A common drunkard or profligate is a petty sinner to what I was.” John Newton, 1778

It was a reminder of the miracle of salvation and how it changes those who are born again.  When I preached in a Haitian church, on the first occasion, I would share the story of John Newton’s conversion. The people had never heard of it and I wanted them to marvel at the power, grace and mercy of God. People who have done harm to others in one way or another have been redeemed and restored to God’s family. One who was an enemy is now a Brother or Sister. God’s Amazing Grace.

Shine Bright my friend and glorify God with your life.

By Faith Alone By His Grace Alone And For His Glory Alone

No comments: