Wednesday, December 23, 2020

Obedience To God Will Bring Adversity

When all our enemies heard about this, all the surrounding nations were afraid and lost their self-confidence, because they realized that this work had been done with the help of our God.” – Nehemiah 6:16

 <Entry>  13 Jan 2011.  Another day working in the [new] church. It was the 1 year anniversary if the earthquake in Haiti. [Leogane was at the epicenter] The temporary church was using tarps for a roof. It was full of people praising God – for 4 hours or more. They used a generator to run a sound system. As we built – they worshipped – It was a good picture of the provision of God. He sent His Spirit to connect the hearts of the people – in worship and work. It is good for me to be here – it is sharpening my focus  on what it is that God wants me to do.

The men on the team are not well organized for the work. Not many can wield hammers well – so the work is slow – but as I told John the foreman – there is more to it than construction – the experience is changing lives – the work will get done – but more importantly God will be glorified in it.  Nehemiah put Hananiah in charge because “because he was a man of integrity and feared God more than most people do” (Nehemiah 7:2) Lord that I would be counted among the likes of Hananiah – known for my integrity and more love and dedication to You, Lord. After Nehemiah established security, he turned his focus to rebuilding homes – first example of disaster relief work.

There was order and standards. Nehemiah struggled with opposition, opposing agendas, jealousy – but he kept his focus on his calling – I need to do the same – I am not to turn my head to the left or right by keep my eyes fixed on the prize – the goal of my upward calling. (Philippians 3:14)

My Utmost for His Highest – January 11 – “I can disobey God and it might bring relief – but it will grieve God – but if I obey – He will care for those affected by my obedience – so obey and leave the consequences to Him.” < End of Entry>

As I read the words I wrote nearly 10 years ago, I can see how God used that trip to shape my thinking – my understanding – my vision.  I have often said that “ministry would be easy if only people were not involved!” God did not say that we would not face adversity and that what He calls us to do would not be impossible for men. Today we live in difficult – spiritually perilous times – every day there are challenges to our very faith and beliefs.  We must keep our eyes fixed on Him. We must resist taking the easy path because it seems less stressful and does not require much faith, if any. That should be a clue about the rightness of our choices!

Shine Bright my friend and glorify God with your life.

By Faith Alone By His Grace Alone And For His Glory Alone

No comments: