Saturday, March 28, 2020

Spiritual Reason In The Face Of Fear


I have been watching our country shift economic gears with amazement and pride.  It is reminiscent of the re-tooling of America in response to the WW2.  People and business making significant changes in their daily lives and what they produce to help counter the threat that looms over them.  Today it is COVID-19, then it was Germany, Italy and Japan.

We are not used to lines outside of stores - food and supply shortages - being limited on where we go, who we go with and when we go. The previous generations knew that life well.

There is a lesson in all of this. So many live for today with the expectation that our tomorrows will be the same. If we can learn anything from this, my hope is that we will appreciate that life is more uncertain than we have been taught by our culture. That we must take time in this pause in our routines to consider what and who we place our trust in, which dictates how we live our lives.

"And he thought within himself, saying, ‘What shall I do, since I have no room to store my crops?’ So he said, ‘I will do this: I will pull down my barns and build greater, and there I will store all my crops and my goods.  And I will say to my soul, “Soul, you have many goods laid up for many years; take your ease; eat, drink, and be merry.” ’ But God said to him, ‘Fool! This night your soul will be required of you; then whose will those things be which you have provided?’" Luke 12:17-20

Since you have some time on your hands - perhaps you should consider your priorities in the life you have been given. Be careful about "drinking the media's Kool-Aide".  They have an agenda, be it left or right, but it is jaundiced so you must cull out the good from the bad.  Don't focus solely on social media - national news - but focus on what you know to be good.  I am typing this during my self-quarantine. Be socially responsible - but, at the same time, be spiritually responsible. As Christians, we have a responsibility delegated from God to be light in darkness - to be a source of hope in what seems to be hopeless - to be confident in the face of uncertainty - to be an ambassador of faith in a world full of fear.

In other words, to be like Jesus. 

By Faith Alone By His Grace Alone And For His Glory Alone

No comments: