Wednesday, March 25, 2020

Is God’s Word Enough?

“And Jesus said to him, ‘ I will come and heal him.’ The centurion answered and said, ‘Lord, I am not worthy that You should come under my roof. But only speak a word, and my servant will be healed. For I also am a man under authority, having soldiers under me. And I say to this one, ‘Go,’ and he goes; and to another, ‘Come,’ and he comes; and to my servant, ‘Do this,’ and he does it.’ When Jesus heard it, He marveled, and said to those who followed, ‘Assuredly, I say to you, I have not found such great faith, not even in Israel!’” – Matthew 8:7-10

“Do you believe that what you believe is really real?” That is a quote from the Focus on the Family Study – The Truth Project. For the Centurion, he did not need Jesus to come to his house to heal his servant.  Merely speaking was sufficient.  The Centurion (a centurion was a military commander who had 100 men under him – there were 60 centurions in a legion – so 6000 men in a legion) He had great authority behind his commands to his men.  I have commanded hundreds of soldiers - I understand the power of that kind of authority. 

Please allow me to digress on the point of Jesus authority for a moment …

But Jesus said to him, ‘Put your sword in its place, for all who take the sword will perish by the sword. Or do you think that I cannot now pray to My Father, and He will provide Me with more than twelve legions of angels? How then could the Scriptures be fulfilled, that it must happen thus?’” – Matthew 26:52-54

When Jesus was arrested He said the Father could send 12 legions – 12 x 6000 or 72,000 angels to defend Him. But, instead for our sakes, He did not but like a lamb to the slaughter, endured the cross. Do you understand the authority of Jesus?

When he saw Jesus from afar, he ran and worshiped Him. And he cried out with a loud voice and said, ‘What have I to do with You, Jesus, Son of the Most High God? I implore You by God that You do not torment me.’ For He said to him, ‘Come out of the man, unclean spirit!’ Then He asked him, ‘What is your name?’ And he answered, saying, ‘My name is Legion; for we are many.’ Also he begged Him earnestly that He would not send them out of the country.” – Mark 5:6-10

Jesus had authority over the demons – there were 6000 in the man – and He cast them out with a word.  Do you understand the authority of Jesus?

So – back to point. The Centurion understood authority and he believed that what he believed about Jesus was really real.  He had great faith. He was convinced.  That is not something we can figure out on our own.  Who Jesus was and is must be spiritually revealed by God and in that revelation, we must believe.

When Jesus came into the region of Caesarea Philippi, He asked His disciples, saying, ‘Who do men say that I, the Son of Man, am?’ So they said, ‘Some say John the Baptist, some Elijah, and others Jeremiah or one of the prophets.’ He said to them, ‘But who do you say that I am?’ Simon Peter answered and said, ‘You are the Christ, the Son of the living God.’ Jesus answered and said to him, ‘Blessed are you, Simon Bar-Jonah, for flesh and blood has not revealed this to you, but My Father who is in heaven.’” – Matthew 16:12-17

People were guessing at who Jesus was – John the Baptist, Jesus cousin – Elijah – Jeremiah – one of the other Old Testament prophets. But Peter knew who Jesus was, but only by spiritual revelation.  Spiritual understanding comes by spiritual revelation. So back to the point of this devotion.  God’s word is spiritual revelation of Truth. It requires faith – like the Centurion’s to live by faith and walk in Truth. God does not have to prove Himself –– if you will but believe that –  His Word is enough.  What impossible circumstance are you facing today? His word is enough!

By Faith Alone By His Grace Alone And For His Glory Alone

No comments: