Thursday, March 5, 2020

Living Like There Is No Tomorrow


And as it is appointed for men to die once, but after this the judgment, so Christ was offered once to bear the sins of many.” — Hebrews 9:27-28

You cannot live life on earth and not be touched by the death of someone you love.  Family or friends, the fact of the matter is that our days are numbered and everyone is going to die a physical death. From the time we drew our first breath, the clock was ticking for the time when we would draw our last.  Although that Bible tells us that death is certain, God does not tell us when we will die, where we will die, or how we will die. It would be wonderful if we all would just go to sleep one night and wake up in heaven.  That does happen, but I think that is not true for the majority of us. 

Your eyes saw my unformed substance; in your book were written, every one of them, the days that were formed for me, when as yet there was none of them.” – Psalm 139:16

Martie and I just celebrated her 70th birthday, mine is in August. 70! Wow! I never imagined 70, it seemed so far off.  We know that the majority of our days are behind us. The point is not that we only have a few left – the point is, “What are we going to do with the days we have left?”  A friend just told me about a relative who was 64, apparently in good health, dropped dead from a heart attack.  It was a reminded that tomorrow is not promised to any of us. When we are young, we live as if there will always be a tomorrow – that we always have time to “get our life right” – to focus on our faith and not so much the natural things in our lives.

Then He spoke a parable to them, saying: ‘The ground of a certain rich man yielded plentifully. And he thought within himself, saying, ‘What shall I do, since I have no room to store my crops?’ So he said, ‘I will do this: I will pull down my barns and build greater, and there I will store all my crops and my goods. And I will say to my soul, ‘Soul, you have many goods laid up for many years; take your ease; eat, drink, and be merry.’ But God said to him, ‘Fool! This night your soul will be required of you; then whose will those things be which you have provided?’ So is he who lays up treasure for himself, and is not rich toward God.” – Luke 12:16-21

We don’t like to think of ourselves as foolish – instead we prefer to think we are wise and responsible when our priority is on securing our financial future – and really there is nothing wrong with that so long as we don’t abandon our trust in God and devotion to others in the process. I don’t know when I will see Jesus face to face, but until I do, I must redeem the time I have. Make every day count – be a light to the world so that some might see Jesus and be saved. God does not need me or you for that purpose, but He has chosen to use us and will should we be faithful to seek first the Kingdom of God. Think about it.

By Faith Alone By His Grace Alone And For His Glory Alone

No comments: