Tuesday, March 24, 2020

God’s Provision And Your Purpose


“I have been young, and now am old; Yet I have not seen the righteous forsaken, Nor his descendants begging bread.” – Psalm 37:25

That was King David who wrote that. I just shared that verse with a good friend who asked me how we were doing – not just in the face of COVID-19, but with life and living in general.  I told him that “I live and do and serve like I am not getting older confident that God will always provide somehow.”  God doesn’t promise us plenty – but He does promise enough. One thing about doing what we do, we have the opportunity to see people who are in great need – live uncertain lives.  As much as I would like to, I can’t help every one that I meet.  The question always is – “Lord, do I help this one?”  I have often told people that Jesus did not heal everyone – but what He did, He did to bring glory to the Father.

Then Jesus answered and said to them, “Most assuredly, I say to you, the Son can do nothing of Himself, but what He sees the Father do; for whatever He does, the Son also does in like manner. For the Father loves the Son, and shows Him all things that He Himself does.” – John 5:19-20

God has a divine purpose for each of us. We should live and breathe for His glory – just like Jesus. Our country – the world – has just had the rug pulled out from under it. In the midst of the turmoil there is a light that is shining – God is at work in the midst of all the confusion.

I visited a family yesterday – the wife had renal failure, a kidney transplant and now lung cancer. But she is hopeful.  We are doing work on her home.  There are yet some things that must be corrected. She called me on Sunday afternoon and I had gone there to see what must be done.  I assured her and her husband that all would be well.  (BTW, Their nephew is joining the Marines. I gave him a Marine’s Bible I had from the Campus Crusade (now CRU) Military Ministry. It so happened that I joined the Army on March 23rd, 1969 – 51 years ago yesterday – wow!) At any rate, as I was about to leave the husband said “Pastor would you pray for us?” I must tell you that I don’t promote the idea that I am a pastor – although that is what the Haitians called me – and what a number of people here call me – not because of any formal training – or because I pastor a church – or that I tell them that I am a pastor, but because of God’s anointing.  God reminded me of that yesterday. Of course we prayed. 

So what has God purposed for you to do? What is your anointing? What do you see God doing that you are to do – just like Jesus did? Like Rick Warren began in his book, The Purpose Driven Life, “It is not about you.” What is it about? Your life in the context of God’s blessing and God’s calling.  The world needs to see Jesus in you. Today.



No comments: