Wednesday, March 11, 2020

Christianity Is A Relationship Not A Religion


For you did not receive the spirit of bondage again to fear, but you received the Spirit of adoption by whom we cry out, “Abba, Father.” — Romans 8:15

How you view your faith in Jesus will determine how you live your new life.  Do you see going to church, studying the Bible, and praying as an obligation or as an opportunity.  Is God the Father a distant supernatural being who made it possible for you to escape eternity in hell, or is He a loving Father that you love and want to spend time with? The truth is that you are a child of the God of the universe.   

Jesus said to him, “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind. This is the first and great commandment.” – Matthew 22:37-38

When you love someone, you WANT to spend time with them. It brings joy to your heart.  Is there someone in your life that you love, deeply? You want to be around them, talk to them, just be present with them? That is what love is.  Well, if you don’t feel that way about God, then you don’t love Him all that much.  Maybe you just like Him.  Being around Him, you can take it or leave it.  Maybe getting more sleep or doing something else that you like to do more than reading the Bible, praying, being around other Christians, or worshiping on Sunday mornings is more important. So you tell God, see you later, I have things to do and people to see!

Why am I telling you this? Because when you neglect our relationship with the Father, we miss the joy that transcends anything that this world has to offer. Most of us struggle with a divided heart.  We pay lip service to our faith – unless we want something – and pursue our natural life asking God to bless it.  Take some time to reflect on this. And if it applies in any way to your life – do something about it. A good place to start is by remembering the day of your salvation and the love for the Father that filled your heart.

Take Me Back - Andraé Crouch

Take me back, take me back dear Lord To the place where I first received you
Take me back, take me back dear Lord where I First believed
I feel that I'm so far from you Lord But still I hear you calling me
Those simple things that I once knew, Their memories keep drawing me
I must confess, Lord I've been blessed But yet my soul's not satisfied
Renew my faith, restore my joy And dry my weeping eyes

By Faith Alone By His Grace Alone And For His Glory Alone

No comments: