Friday, December 5, 2014

The Devil Did Not "Make You" Do It




“I am not being saved— I am saved. Salvation is as eternal as God’s throne, but I must put to work or use what God has placed within me. To “work out [my] own salvation” (Philippians 2:12) means that I am responsible for using what He has given me. It also means that I must exhibit in my own body the life of the Lord Jesus, not mysteriously or secretly, but openly and boldly. “I discipline my body and bring it into subjection . . .” (1 Corinthians 9:27). Every Christian can have his body under absolute control for God. God has given us the responsibility to rule over all “the temple of the Holy Spirit,” including our thoughts and desires (1 Corinthians 6:19). We are responsible for these, and we must never give way to improper ones. But most of us are much more severe in our judgment of others than we are in judging ourselves. We make excuses for things in ourselves, while we condemn things in the lives of others simply because we are not naturally inclined to do them.” CHAMBERS

I have often shared Romans 7 with Christians when talking about the struggle between the flesh and the Spirit in us. 

(Romans 7:15-25) “For what I am doing, I do not understand. For what I will to do, that I do not practice; but what I hate, that I do. […]  But now, it is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells in me. For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh) nothing good dwells; for to will is present with me, but how to perform what is good I do not find. For the good that I will to do, I do not do; but the evil I will not to do, that I practice. Now if I do what I will not to do, it is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells in me. I find then a law, that evil is present with me, the one who wills to do good. For I delight in the law of God according to the inward man. But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members. O wretched man that I am! Who will deliver me from this body of death? I thank God—through Jesus Christ our Lord! So then, with the mind I myself serve the law of God, but with the flesh the law of sin.”

It is not Paul’s excuse for sin, but the realization that through Jesus, he no longer has to be a slave to the desires of his flesh.  And so it is for you and me.  We should stop making excuses for our sin .. there was a comedian years ago .. Flip Wilson .. who coined the phrase “The devil made me do it!” Well, we make that claim each time we excuse our sin as unavoidable.  We are no longer owned by the devil, but are children of the most high God, purchased by the blood of Jesus Christ.  We must keep that in mind the next time a temptation comes our way.  ELGIN

Bondye Beni Ou (God Bless You)

No comments: