Monday, March 4, 2013

A Line In The Sand

My Utmost For His Highest

It is easier to serve or work for God without a vision and without a call, because then you are not bothered by what He requires. Common sense, covered with a layer of Christian emotion, becomes your guide. You may be more prosperous and successful from the world’s perspective, and will have more leisure time, if you never acknowledge the call of God. But once you receive a commission from Jesus Christ, the memory of what God asks of you will always be there to prod you on to do His will. You will no longer be able to work for Him on the basis of common sense.

What do I count in my life as “dear to myself”? If I have not been seized by Jesus Christ and have not surrendered myself to Him, I will consider the time I decide to give God and my own ideas of service as dear. I will also consider my own life as “dear to myself.” But Paul said he considered his life dear so that he might fulfill the ministry he had received, and he refused to use his energy on anything else. […] He was absolutely indifferent to any consideration other than that of fulfilling the ministry he had received. Our ordinary and reasonable service to God may actually compete against our total surrender to Him.” CHAMBERS
 
The work God has put my hands to is extremely demanding .. mentally, emotionally, spiritually and physically.  The spiritual and physical needs we face every day are immense.  For me to address them requires spiritual discernment, wisdom and physical stamina. There are days when I feel overwhelmed … and many more where I feel inadequate for the task.  But, then, I am reminded that “My God is so big, so strong and almighty, there’s nothing that He cannot do”. (that is a song that the Haitian students in the ESL class I teach sing).  What we are doing here goes beyond common sense.  We are given every reason to say “Enough!” No one is making us do this.  We can go home at any time and we would receive praise from men for the fine thing we have done. But we are not seeking the praise of men. We are not doing this out of obligation but are motivated by the call of God.

People say, “I don’t see how you do this.” Frankly I don’t either, except that God sustains me.  Is my life dear to me? Yes. But only in the context that I may serve God with it and He will be glorified through it. Have you drawn a line in the sand and told God that you will only go that far .. give that much ... serve that long?  I encourage your to pray through that decision ... and consider Jesus.
 
Bondye Beni Ou (God Bless You)

No comments: