Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Writing Your Spiritual History


My Utmost For His Highest

“Is my knowledge of Jesus the result of my own internal spiritual perception, or is it only what I have learned through listening to others? Is there something in my life that unites me with the Lord Jesus as my personal Savior? My spiritual history must have as its underlying foundation a personal knowledge of Jesus Christ. To be born again means that I see Jesus.” CHAMBERS

If someone were to chronicle your spiritual history, how many chapters would there be?  Would it be a novel or a short story?  If it were possible to capture your spiritual thoughts and record your spiritually motivated actions on film, would it be an epic motion picture or a 1 minute ‘short’?  Is Jesus central to your life?  Or is He a footnote?  These questions are meant to challenge.  To cause us to examine how we are living?  One of the most common reasons people give for not attending church is that the churches are filled with hypocrites.  People who profess one thing (like a close relationship with Jesus) but live another. To tell people you love Jesus, that you are born again and then reject His commands and his presence is hypocritical.  It is not personal faith .. it is vain religion.

John 14:23-24 “ Jesus answered and said to him, "If anyone loves Me, he will keep My word; and My Father will love him, and We will come to him and make Our home with him.  (24)  He who does not love Me does not keep My words; and the word which you hear is not Mine but the Father's who sent Me.”

How do we keep His word?

John 15:5  "I am the vine, you are the branches. He who abides in Me, and I in him, bears much fruit; for without Me you can do nothing.”

My granddaughter loves to get up early and talk to me.  Normally while I am doing my morning devotion.  I love talking to her, but timing is everything.  So I try to rise up early, before she is awake, so I can spend time talking.  Sometimes I don’t get up early enough and this morning was like that.  Interrupting her question, I asked, “Do you like the kind of person I am?” She said yes.  Then I said “To be that kind of person, I must spend time with God every morning”.  In other words, I must draw from the Vine.  Every day.  If Jesus is my life .. then He must be central to my life.  So her response “So you want me to be quiet don’t you?”  I smile….

Take time for Jesus … draw deeply from the Vine … add some pages to your life’s story  and let your light shine.

“Live the Christian life in the same way you began it— by trusting Christ.” ODB 15 Aug 2012

Bondye Beni Ou (God Bless You)

No comments: