Sunday, August 5, 2012

Watch Your Step!

My Utmost For His Highest

If we are in fellowship and oneness with God and recognize that He is taking us into His purposes, then we will no longer strive to find out what His purposes are. As we grow in the Christian life, it becomes simpler to us, because we are less inclined to say, “I wonder why God allowed this or that?” And we begin to see that the compelling purpose of God lies behind everything in life, and that God is divinely shaping us into oneness with that purpose. A Christian is someone who trusts in the knowledge and the wisdom of God, not in his own abilities. If we have a purpose of our own, it destroys the simplicity and the calm, relaxed pace which should be characteristic of the children of God.’ CHAMBERS

I say, tongue in cheek, I wish God would let me turn the bright lights on every now and again just so I can see a little further down the road.  But is that really necessary?  If I am trusting God and not myself .. do I even need to see two steps in front of me?  As I experience life, on encounter after the other … I can’t always see the context of those events in God’s plan and purpose.  In fact, by themselves, they may make no sense whatsoever and I might find myself asking, ‘Why God?’  There is a song, ‘Wherever He Leads, I’ll Go.’  It says .. I will follow my Christ who loves me so … You see .. we are not plowing new ground .. cutting a new trail … God is going before us.

When I was in Vietnam I served with a unit that worked with Vietnamese soldiers.  When we went on a patrol with them, we had someone called a “Kit Carson Scout” normally repatriated Vietcong (former enemy).  As we would walk along a jungle trail, they would show us .. “step here, do not step there” … They went ahead of us …

Job said “My foot has held fast to His steps; I have kept His way and not turned aside.”  (Job 23:11)

David said “Uphold my steps in Your paths, That my footsteps may not slip.” (Psalms 17:5)

Proverbs 20:24 says “A man's steps are of the LORD; How then can a man understand his own way?”

God knows the way and He shows the way.  Our job is to follow and to trust Him.  We don’t need to figure it out.  If you have children you may have heard the “Why” question.  You tell them to do something and they ask “Why?”.  Sometimes is it appropriate .. most times not … they are rebelling against your direction … they want to do what they want to do.  So it is with us and God.  It is a Proverbs 3:5-6 moment.  We need to say “Why” less and ‘Yes Lord’ more.

Walk in the light He gives you …

Bondye Beni Ou (God Bless You)

No comments: