Monday, March 12, 2012

Oh How He Loves You and Me

My Utmost For His Highest

“I’m going to give myself to God because I want to be delivered from sin, because I want to be made holy.” Being delivered from sin and being made holy are the result of being right with God, but surrender resulting from this kind of thinking is certainly not the true nature of Christianity. Our motive for surrender should not be for any personal gain at all. We have become so self-centered that we go to God only for something from Him, and not for God Himself. It is like saying, “No, Lord, I don’t want you; I want myself. But I do want You to clean me and fill me with Your Holy Spirit. I want to be on display in Your showcase so I can say, ’This is what God has done for me.’ ” Gaining heaven, being delivered from sin, and being made useful to God are things that should never even be a consideration in real surrender. Genuine total surrender is a personal sovereign preference for Jesus Christ Himself. Where does Jesus Christ figure in when we have a concern about our natural relationships? Most of us will desert Him with this excuse—”Yes, Lord, I heard you call me, but my family needs me and I have my own interests. I just can’t go any further” (see Luke 9:57-62). “Then,” Jesus says, “you ’cannot be My disciple’ ” (see Luke 14:26-33). CHAMBERS

Our new life is about a relationship not benefits.  Think of it this way.  I am married .. why did I get married?  Did I get married because now I have someone who will clean my house, cook food, wash clothes … make my life better and easier.  Or did I get married because I love the woman.  I want to spend my life devoted to her and no other. My joy is being with her.  The greatest benefit of our marriage is that I am with her.  I love her and she loves me.  That is what Chambers is saying about our attitude toward God. 

But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. (Romans 5:8)

God wants a relationship with us … but He wants our complete devotion … the greatest commandment (Matt 22:37) … is to love God completely … with ALL … so when Jesus said follow Me and the man said, “Ok, but first let me …” .. it revealed a divided heart … the man was focused on himself … I will follow you Lord but first there are things I need to do … Can you imagine telling God something as if He does not know it already?  In the study Experiencing God, Henry Blackaby said that we know when God speaks that it’s God. When God speaks, we understand what He says.  The challenge is in obeying Him . the problem is in the doing. Why? Because we don’t really believe that God knows what is best for us … at least not as well as we do …

 Right now, I am in Haiti and Martie is in Alabama.  I don’t miss what she can do for me .. I miss her … I want to be with her.  That is having a relationship … there are all kinds of benefits to our relationship but they are not the reason why I miss her.  I love her and want to be with her.   So what about competing relationships?  If I love my wife so much why did I come to Haiti without her?  Some would have you believe that leaving your wife and family in Alabama and going to Haiti is not Biblical … God would not ask you to do that … would He?  God would not ask you to do something that costs you would He?  He wouldn’t ask you to lay things down for Him would He? (Read Romans 12:1,2)  The answer is ‘yes’.  Ok, but He would not ask you to not be with your wife for a season would He?  That can’t be God ….. can it?  There is much to share with you about this subject .. perhaps another time … but let me leave this with you … God is always interested in your best … if you hear God … you understand what He says … then walk in that revelation … it will require faith (Hebrews 11:1)  Draw near to God and He will draw near to you …

God Bless You

No comments: