Saturday, March 17, 2012

Nurturing Your Spiritual Nature

My Utmost For His Highest

Any goal we have that diverts us even to the slightest degree from the central goal of being “approved to God” (2 Timothy 2:15) may result in our rejection from further service for Him. When you discern where the goal leads, you will understand why it is so necessary to keep “looking unto Jesus” (Hebrews 12:2). Paul spoke of the importance of controlling his own body so that it would not take him in the wrong direction. He said, “I discipline my body and bring it into subjection, lest . . . I myself should become disqualified” (1 Corinthians 9:27). I must learn to relate everything to the primary goal, maintaining it without interruption. My worth to God publicly is measured by what I really am in my private life. Is my primary goal in life to please Him and to be acceptable to Him, or is it something less, no matter how lofty it may sound? CHAMBERS

When you read something like 1 Corinthians 9, you have to think that Paul wrote that because self-discipline was something that he had to do. So what does self-discipline look like? Well, it starts with “keeping my eyes on Jesus” … there is another one of those trite Christian sayings.  We can make things sound so simple can’t we.  Oh you are really struggling?  Just keep your eyes on Jesus … there is a song .. “Turn your eyes upon Jesus .. look full on His wonderful face, and the things of earth will grow strangely dim in the light of His glory and grace.” Sounds wonderful, but how do you do that?  I mean aren’t you trying to do that? Or maybe you aren’t trying but it would be nice. 

There are several aspects of self-discipline worth noting.  I will use the analogy of lifting weights.  I used to do that a lot when I was in the Army.  First I had to decide I was going to do it.  We can all fill our day up with something .. other than exercising … next I had to do it, I had to actually go to the gym … thinking about it was not going to have the same effect as experiencing the resistance of the weights against my muscles.  Lastly, and what was critical for me was, I exercised with someone else.  We were able to encourage one another .. to be consistent .. to push ourselves …  we were accountable to each other.  We had the same goal and were sincerely interested in the well-being of the other person.   

Another song if you will indulge me  … ‘Come Thou Fount” ….. “Prone to wander, Lord I feel it prone to leave the God I love. Here’s my heart now take and seal it, seal it for Thy courts above.”    You know it’s possible to look perfectly fine on the outside and be hurting on the inside?  My guess is that many if not most Christians are like that.  I have often said that the time when the most lies are told is Sunday morning at church when everyone stands and greets those around them. “Good morning.  How are you?” (smile) “I am fine thank you” (lie) They may have just had an argument with their spouse, problems with their kids, lost their job, struggles with secret sins, financial problems .. the list goes on and on and on …. We won’t be transparent with each other because we don’t trust each other.  We don’t know each other.  At church, we are mostly like passing cars on the highway.  We see the other car approaching, we see there are people in the car, we might acknowledge them with ta nod of the head, it passes and we forget about it. 

Paul had to discipline himself .. we all must do the same … Decide it’s important, set time aside daily to nurture your Spiritual nature, read the Word, and I pray that the Lord will bring someone into your life that you can “go to the gym with.” Keep your light shining bright!

Bondye Beni Ou (God Bless You)

No comments: