Friday, February 17, 2012

Put Your Hope In God

My Utmost For His Highest

If we were never depressed, we would not be alive—only material things don’t suffer depression. If human beings were not capable of depression, we would have no capacity for happiness and exaltation.  ……..  When the Spirit of God comes to us, He does not give us glorious visions, but He tells us to do the most ordinary things imaginable. Depression tends to turn us away from the everyday things of God’s creation. But whenever God steps in, His inspiration is to do the most natural, simple things-things we would never have imagined God was in, but as we do them we find Him there. The inspiration that comes to us in this way is an initiative against depression. But we must take the first step and do it in the inspiration of God. If, however, we do something simply to overcome our depression, we will only deepen it. But when the Spirit of God leads us instinctively to do something, the moment we do it the depression is gone. As soon as we arise and obey, we enter a higher plane of life.” CHAMBERS

Does that seem like an odd topic for a spiritual devotion?  The Bible is about showing us God and how He intended for us to live.  There are realities that we face each day .. one of those is our capacity to experience depression … we can experience depression because we have the capacity to experience the polar opposite … joy.  Chambers is saying that in the midst of our depression we can ‘walk away from it’.  We turn to God and obey His voice. 

I am not a psychologist … I know there have been many books and studies on depression – causes and cures.  but I also know that our God is bigger than anything we can face in this life.  And I do know that the Word says … “Why are you cast down, O my soul? And why are you disquieted within me? Hope in God, for I shall yet praise Him For the help of His countenance.  (Psalms 42:5)

I know that God’s intent is for us to be in relationship with Him … I know that there are times that we lose focus on that relationship … I know that when we are far away from God, relationally, it is a difficult climb to get back to the place of joy.  Chambers says it is doing the simple things … doing things by faith .. just doing it because God said it … “Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. (Matthew 11:28-29)

When you are struggling with depression .. don’t you find that your soul is restless?  Turn to God?  I am not saying you might not need some help to see it and understand it .. but put your hope in God and don’t lean on your own understanding.  There is a song .. Learning to Lean … it goes, “….. finding more power than I ever dreamed, I am learning to lean on Jesus” ,,,,

That is my prayer for you today … Every journey begins with the first step … Draw near to God and He will draw near to you (James 4:8) … that is a promise you can take to the bank!


Bondye Beni Ou (God Bless You)

No comments: