Wednesday, February 22, 2012

The Lord is My Strength

My Utmost For His Highest

Perseverance is more than endurance. It is endurance combined with absolute assurance and certainty that what we are looking for is going to happen. Perseverance means more than just hanging on, which may be only exposing our fear of letting go and falling. ….. the call to spiritual perseverance.  A call not to hang on and do nothing, but to work deliberately, knowing with certainty that God will never be defeated…. If our hopes seem to be experiencing disappointment right now, it simply means that they are being purified.  CHAMBERS

There is a hardware and building supply store just down the road from Children’s Hope here in Jacmel named “Perseverance”.  When I first saw it, I thought that it was an appropriate description of what the Haitian people must do in the midst of their struggle to survive.  It is also a reminder to me that if I keep my focus on God and not my particular circumstance I can and will persevere. 

What does the Bible say about perseverance? 

James 1:12    Blessed is the one who perseveres under trial …. ,

James 5:10-11  Brothers and sisters, as an example of patience in the face of suffering, take the prophets who spoke in the name of the Lord. 11 As you know, we count as blessed those who have persevered. You have heard of Job’s perseverance and have seen what the Lord finally brought about. The Lord is full of compassion and mercy.

1 Corinthians 13:6-8   Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. 8 Love never fails.

We struggle with life and circumstances and often want to ‘quit’ because of it.  To  persevere is to press on with our eyes fixed on the One who called us, who saved us, who loves us .. who is dependable .. trustworthy … able to do more than we can ask or think … He is on our side …

I was thinking back to 1976 … I was at Fort Knox learning to be a lieutenant in Armor … we were taking a Physical Fitness test.  Part of that test is a 2 mile run.  One of the guys I knew was having problems completing the run.  So I slowed my pace and ran beside him.  He was ready to quit .. his body hurt .. he had no breath … he was totally focused on his pain … what I did was turn his focus on the next bend on the track … to look ahead … to press on … he did and he finished the run and passed the test .. not with a high score but he finished the same … later he went to flight school and finished his career. 

My point is not to take credit for his success but to suggest that when we feel like we can’t take another step .. life is just too hard .. we lose heart … remember that you have an advocate … His name is Jesus.  He will help you in those times when you don’t think you can go on … Paul said …. In our weakness His strength is made perfect …

‘And He said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness." Therefore most gladly I will rather boast in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in needs, in persecutions, in distresses, for Christ's sake. For when I am weak, then I am strong. ‘ (2 Corinthians 12:9-10)


Look to the Lord for the strength to Persevere.

Bondye Beni Ou (God Bless You)

No comments: