Saturday, February 25, 2012

Letting Go

My Utmost For His Highest

“The real test of a saint is not one’s willingness to preach the gospel, but one’s willingness to do something like washing the disciples’ feet— that is, being willing to do those things that seem unimportant in human estimation but count as everything to God. It was Paul’s delight to spend his life for God’s interests in other people, and he did not care what it cost. But before we will serve, we stop to ponder our personal and financial concerns— “What if God wants me to go over there? And what about my salary? What is the climate like there? Who will take care of me? A person must consider all these things.” All that is an indication that we have reservations about serving God. But the apostle Paul had no conditions or reservations. Paul focused his life on Jesus Christ’s idea of a New Testament saint; that is, not one who merely proclaims the gospel, but one who becomes broken bread and poured-out wine in the hands of Jesus Christ for the sake of others.” CHAMBERS

Since we began this journey in 2005, I have been surprised at how many people comment on, even marvel at, what we have given up to serve the way we do.  Because of that we have become very intentional about being on our guard against pride.  What started out as an offering to the Lord could easily become a point of pride as if we had done some great thing worthy of others’ admiration.  What I would hope is that rather than say, “what you are doing is wonderful, you have given up so much”  (meaning we gave up those things that they see as very valuable) Instead,  the response I would like our lives to provoke is .. “I see what God has done in your life because you said “yes” and I want to follow where He leads me in the same way … no matter where it leads.”   

(Philippians 3:7-9)

 But what things were gain to me, these I have counted loss for Christ. Yet indeed I also count all things loss for the excellence of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord, for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and count them as rubbish, that I may gain Christ and be found in Him, not having my own righteousness, which is from the law, but that which is through faith in Christ, the righteousness which is from God by faith;


That is what Chambers is speaking to.  Romans 12:1 says that we should lay our lives down .. not holding anything back … If we hold something back it shows that we have a divided heart … we don’t want to give something because we trust in it more than we trust in God … we love it more than we love God.  It might be our safety, our wealth, our family relationships …  whatever it is, God wants us to lay it down.  That does not mean that He wants you to go to Africa, necessarily, but He does want you to love Him with all of your heart, mind, soul and strength (Matt 22:37)

Whatever it is that you are hanging on to as a plan B … let it go and give your all to Him … You will uncover an amazing secret … you will have lost nothing of value … and gained everything ….


Bondye Beni Ou (God Bless You)

No comments: