Tuesday, August 15, 2023

The Trouble With Traditions

"And if you call on the Father, who without partiality judges according to each one’s work, conduct yourselves throughout the time of your stay here [on earth] in fear; knowing that you were not redeemed with corruptible things, like silver or gold, from your aimless conduct received by tradition from your fathers, but with the precious blood of Christ, as of a lamb without blemish and without spot." -  1 Peter 1:17-19

Have you ever seen young children playing together? They are not worried about gender, race or what side of the tracks they were born on. They are content to spend time together - no pre-conditions.  Those worries will come soon enough. And where do they come from?  They are learned. They are told what is right and what is wrong with the world by their parents, family, church, culture - media.  Dr. James Dobson, founder of Focus on the Family, said that values are "caught" - not "taught". Meaning most of our learning from others comes from our observing how they live and treat others.  

My parents taught me many good things when I was young. Things that were consistent with the Word of God, but that was not their intention when they taught them. At least not in my formative years. They also taught me things that were not consistent with the Word of God.  They were not Christians until I had left home and joined the Army. But I digress. 

Peter's point is that the traditions of our culture, our families, the people we identify with do not and should not have primacy over the will of God for His children.  But often times, we allow those traditions to shape our thinking and behaving. I have said before that if I profane the name of Jesus or God, people would say nothing, but if I were to speak against their parents, they would be ready to fight. I have met a number of Christians who judged me based upon my accent, the part of the country I was born in or current live in, the denomination of the church I attend, or my ethnicity. The thing is, they didn't see anything wrong with it. It is all part of their world view. An amalgamation of the Word and the traditions of their fathers. If there was any conflict between the two, most traditions won the day.  I always thought about 1 Peter 1 when that happened.  

Do you remember the Fiddler on the Roof? Why do we wear our hats? That's right - Tradition! We very often don't question the traditions passed along from generation to generation. We just accept them - right or wrong.

Who we are in Christ should and must be the thing that binds us together with other Christians. Not race or geography or wealth or education. Certainly not traditions that are contrary to God's revealed will.

Think about it – Pray about it – Believe it – Walk in the Light. Then let your light shine and give God the glory.

By Faith Alone By His Grace Alone And For His Glory Alone

No comments: