Wednesday, August 23, 2023

Dealing With Difficult Christians

"Put on then, as God's chosen ones, holy and beloved, compassionate hearts, kindness, humility, meekness, and patience, bearing with one another and, if one has a complaint against another, forgiving each other; as the Lord has forgiven you, so you also must forgive. And above all these put on love, which binds everything together in perfect harmony." - Colossians 3:12-14

I was talking to someone, just the other day, about struggles in ministry. I told them that relational problems with people, in my experience, had more to do with other people in ministry and not so much with the people we were ministering to. People who have their own agendas or troubles serving alongside us. I don't expect people to be perfect - I am certainly not - I hold no one to that standard. I told her the challenge they would face when that happens is to keep their focus on God - who called them to service and the people they were called to serve.

God knows that we will encounter disagreeable people (Christians) as we journey on the path that He has set before us. If you are not careful and vigilant, serving with difficult Christians can tempt you to say "enough - this is not worth it" and stop doing what God has called you to do. God did not promise that your journey would not be difficult. But no matter what the difficulties are, we are to be compassionate, kind, humble, meek (bridled strength not weak - self (spirit) controlled), patient, forgiving. All a result of the Spirit at work in you. Colossians is telling us not to respond with our flesh.

Consider this. Perhaps God has allowed difficult people into your life to be "relational sandpaper." Perhaps He is working on your godly character through those experiences - conforming you to the image of His Son. Perhaps He wants you to trust in Him and not yourself when you encounter difficult people - Christians. To be honest, I have not always fared well on some of those occasions.  But I must add that in every instance, I have learned something about myself and the grace of God. 

"I [Jesus] have said these things to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation. But take heart; I have overcome the world." - John 16:33

Reminded of a song - More Like You - by Maranatha Music

"More like You Jesus, More like You
Fill my heart with Your desire To make me more like You
More like You Jesus, More like You
Touch my lips with holy fire And make me more like You
Lord You are my mercy, Lord You are my grace
And all my deepest sins, Have forever been erased
Draw me in Your presence, Lead me in Your ways
I long to bring You glory In righteousness and praise"

Think about it – Pray about it – Believe it – Walk in it. Let your light shine and give God the glory.

By Faith Alone By His Grace Alone And For His Glory Alone

No comments: