Thursday, June 29, 2023

An Audience Of One

"I can of Myself do nothing. ........ I do not seek My own will but the will of the Father who sent Me." - John 5:30

Jesus said that.

"I live before the audience of One-before others I have nothing to gain, nothing to lose, nothing to prove." 

Os Guinness, a modern day theologian said that.

I don't know if Os Guiness was the first to say that in terms of how he lives his new life in Christ. I do know that Jesus was the first to say what He said. We are to live our lives with one focus in mind, to live and do for an audience of One - the Creator God. Many people - many Christians live their lives trying to impress or please other people. They are sensitive to rejection or criticism. Disheartened when relationships crash like a ship on the rocks, broken and unrepairable. People become dominated with the thought that what other people think is has primacy over what God thinks.

"for they loved the glory that comes from man more than the glory that comes from God." - John 12:43

It is so easy to chase the approval of other people, even to the detriment of walking in obedience and finding God's approval.  People liking me or praising me is not the validator of my walk with God.  I don't do things so as to win the favor of other people. I do things out of obedience to God's call and will. Seem to lofty to you? It is the essence of our faith and new life. Of course you must be certain that it is God you are following and not your own imagination.

"There is a way that seems right to a man, but its end is the way to death" - Proverbs 14:12

Too often I have seen someone's faithful service derailed by the opinion or criticism of another person. In the face of that turmoil, God is removed from the equation. It becomes a carnal - a natural thing. Often the result is terminal with respect to that person's service.

Live for an audience of One. All other people are merely by-standers.  For some that is a tall order because they worry about what others think more than what God thinks. I think it is a form of co-dependency. Which is - a psychological condition or a relationship in which a person manifesting low self-esteem and a strong desire for approval has an unhealthy attachment to another often controlling or manipulative person. 

The low self esteem comes from a lack of faith and spiritual maturity. In other words, they lack confidence of who they are in Christ and their sufficiency in the eyes of God. Their feeling of well being is dependent upon how other people respond to them = even in the context of their new life in Christ.  

Be careful that you do not give credit and weight to others' opinions when that credit and weight is not due. When criticism and adversity comes - that is "when" not "if", you must be prepared to rebuff it with the Truth of who you are and Who you live for and serve.  

This word is for someone. Who, I don't know. It is meant to encourage. Not everyone wishes you harm. To you give spiritual perspective, read Galatians 5:16-26. It will give you some context on how people around you behave and what their underlying motivation is. Thinking of another song ...

"When it's all been said and done There is just one thing that matters Did I do my best to live for truth? Did I live my life for you?

When it's all been said and done All my treasures will mean nothing Only what I've done for love's reward Will stand the test of time" When It's All Been Said And Done, Don Moen.

Think about it – Pray about it – Believe it – Walk in it. Let your light shine and give God the glory.

By Faith Alone By His Grace Alone And For His Glory Alone


No comments: