Wednesday, December 29, 2021

Oh Yes, I Am The Great Pretender

(These are some thoughts that I captured on paper in 2012 that I stumbled upon while clearing some files from my computer  -  in these 10 years the struggle remains the same. Such is the nature of mankind)

"Therefore we also, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which so easily ensnares us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, looking unto Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith, who for the joy that was set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God." - Hebrews 12:1-2

I recently had a discussion about how someone can lead a spiritual meeting and all the while have unconfessed sin in their heart - be struggling with their own spirituality.  The Lord is showing me how.  We can appear to be right on the outside but not be right on the inside.  We all fall into sin from time to time.  Somehow forgetting that we must surrender to the Spirit .. to acknowledge our sin .. to confess it and to turn away from it.  But sin has an attraction to our flesh .. it can be strong and if we are not careful we will submit to it and then struggle to get away, but it has a firm grip on us.  I had the image a wrestler who has his opponent pinned to the mat.  No matter how the opponent tries, they cannot free themselves. 

The Lord will remind us that we have feet of clay and are never more than a thought away from captivity.  The Lord shows me my heart and my weakness apart from Him.  What He has me doing is for the purpose of bringing glory to the Father and showing many the way to the kingdom .. but the enemy is strong.  He has and will continue to come against us.  Sin crouches at our doorstep.  (Genesis 4:7) Satan knows our flesh is weak .. The Lord will show us our weaknesses and has warned us to turn from the temptation and to trust in His Word.

And yet, many of us choose to walk in fear of being found out that we are not perfect.  We can get comfortable with carrying sin around with us, not understanding that because of that sin we have no spiritual power. 

I am reminded of a song by the Platters. 

"Oh-oh, yes I'm the great pretender, Pretending that I'm doing well, My need is such I pretend too much, I'm lonely but no one can tell

Oh-oh, yes I'm the great pretender, Adrift in a world of my own I've played the game but to my real shame, You've left me to grieve all alone

Too real is this feeling of make-believe, Too real when I feel what my heart can't conceal" - Buck Ram, 1955

To this, for myself I say, "I hear you Lord and will obey you.  Guard my eyes and heart Lord.  Give me wisdom that is from heaven so I can give the proper counsel to others.  Be my strength lest I fall." 

Think about it – Pray about it – Believe it – Walk in it. Let your light shine and give God the glory.

By Faith Alone By His Grace Alone And For His Glory Alone

No comments: