Thursday, December 2, 2021

When God Doesn't Do What We Want

 So I brought him to Your disciples, but they could not cure him. Then Jesus answered and said, ‘O faithless and perverse generation, how long shall I be with you? How long shall I bear with you? Bring him here to Me.’ And Jesus rebuked the demon, and it came out of him; and the child was cured from that very hour. Then the disciples came to Jesus privately and said, ‘Why could we not cast it out?’ So Jesus said to them, ‘Because of your unbelief  for assuredly, I say to you, if you have faith as a mustard seed, you will say to this mountain, Move from here to there, and it will move; and nothing will be impossible for you.’” - Matthew 17:16-20

Have you ever wondered if the reason God does not seem to answer your prayers is because there is something wrong with you? Doesn’t the Bible say that He will – if we will ask in faith that our prayers can move mountains? Is it because I have a problem or perhaps God has stopped listening to me. Does praying do any good? As I type these words, my mind is going to other verses giving me context.

Though He slay me, yet will I trust Him.” – Job 13:15

Job’s devotion to God, in spite of the outcome for Job was being tested. Jesus told His disciples to pray.

Our Father in heaven, Hallowed be Your name. Your kingdom come. Your will be done On earth as it is in heaven” – Luke 11:2

Not my will but God’s will. And what is God’s will? Does it include something that will allow heartache, loss, grief into my life or the lives of people I care about? Is prayer nothing more than a “crap shoot” – nothing more than stochastic probability like the roll of the dice? So prayer doesn’t really matter? It may feel that way sometimes – maybe more than sometimes. 

Perhaps is it not the desired outcome of our prayer that is most important – even though it feels that way, but the One that we are focused on when we pray that is the important part of praying. There is a song that expresses this attitude

They say sometimes you win some, Sometimes you lose some, And right now, right now I'm losing bad”

Have you ever felt that way?

“I know You're able and I know You can, Save through the fire with Your mighty hand But even if You don't My hope is You alone”

When God does not do what you want do you challenge Him or trust Him?

“They say it only takes a little faith, To move a mountain - Good thing, A little faith is all I have right now”

Have you ever struggled with your faith? There is not a Christian who ever was, is or will be that has not faced that struggle.

But God, when You choose To leave mountains unmovable Give me the strength to be able to sing It is well with my soul

I know You're able and I know You can, Save through the fire with Your mighty hand But even if You don't My hope is You alone

I know the sorrow, and I know the hurt Would all go away if You'd just say the word But even if You don't My hope is You alone – Mercy Me, “Even If”

When you feel the breath of the lion on your neck – when life seems to be falling in on top of you – when you are facing the impossible – when you roll the dice and it doesn’t go your way. 

Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.” – Philippians 4:6-7

I think that prayer is not so much about the product (getting what you want) but the process (turning your heart, mind and will toward God). Giving the fruit of the Spirit the opportunity to blossom in your life. Love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. Spiritual fruit that is not dependent upon the circumstances of life – but the power of God.

Think about it – Pray about it – Believe it – Walk in it. Let your light shine and give God the glory.

By Faith Alone By His Grace Alone And For His Glory Alone

No comments: