Monday, April 12, 2021

When It Comes To Faith – I really Don’t Know Much

For this reason I also suffer these things; nevertheless I am not ashamed, for I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that He is able to keep what I have committed to Him until that Day.” – 2 Timothy 1:12

Listening to a sermon yesterday, I was reminded of a fact. I know quite a bit about a lot of things – Jack of all trades kind’a guy some might say.  But there are some things that I don’t know – quite a few actually … for instance ….

  1. I know not why God’s wondrous grace to me He hath made known, Nor why, unworthy, Christ in love redeemed me for His own.
  2. I know not how this saving faith to me He did impart, Nor how believing in His Word wrought peace within my heart.
  3. I know not how the Spirit moves, convincing men of sin, Revealing Jesus through the Word, creating faith in Him.
  4. I know not when my Lord may come, at night or noonday fair, Nor if I walk the vale with Him, or meet Him in the air.
  5. I know not what of good or ill may be reserved for me, Of weary ways or golden days, before His face I see.
  6. But I know Whom I have believed, And am persuaded that He is able To keep that which I’ve committed Unto Him against that day. (I Know Whom I Have Believed, Daniel W. Whittle, Public Domain)

I love that song – but when I read the lyrics yesterday – it gave new context to Paul’s statement about what he did not know and what he did know.  What Paul did know gave him the confidence and strength to endure the hardships of life. It gave him perspective.

I was reminded that this life I live – have lived since 1976 when I was born again – I live by faith in Jesus. I don’t have all of the answers – so many unknowns but there is one thing I do know.  (I suppose this is a day for quotes) “I am not the man I ought to be, I am not the man I wish to be, and I am not the man I hope to be, but by the grace of God, I am not the man I used to be.” – John Newton, former slave ship captain and author of “Amazing Grace”

Spiritual transformation is a fact for everyone who has placed their trust in Jesus as the Messiah. Something to meditate on today.  Perhaps an encouragement to “turn your eyes upon Jesus and look full in His wonderful face, and the things of earth will grow strangely dim in the light of His glory and grace.”

Believe it – walk in it. Let your light shine and give God the glory.

By Faith Alone By His Grace Alone And For His Glory Alone

No comments: