Monday, April 5, 2021

Living Life With A Spiritual Perspective

Now it came to pass, as He sat at the table with them, that He took bread, blessed and broke it, and gave it to them. Then their eyes were opened and they knew Him; and He vanished from their sight.” Luke 24:30-31

We live our lives, most often I think, only vaguely aware of the Spiritual reality that surrounds us.  As I listened to Luke 24 being read during an Easter sermon this past weekend, I was reminded of that. Two men, keenly aware of what happened to Jesus were unaware of His presence as they walked the road to Emmaus.  But, when Jesus broke the bread – they were suddenly aware that they were with Jesus.  Can you imagine walking through your day – maybe even talking about Jesus – but then, suddenly – in the blink of an eye – you are aware that you are walking with Jesus.  Would that change your conversation, your thoughts, your attitude, even your actions, knowing that the resurrected Lord – the Son of God was with you. 

And Jesus came and spoke to them, saying, ‘All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth. Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.’” – Matthew 28:18-20

Most often we focus on the “Go” part of those verses. But, don’t you find it interesting that Jesus said He will be with us – always. Does that strike your heart like it does mine? As a born-again Believer, there is not a deed – a thought – that I do or think where Jesus is not present – walking beside me. I suppose that the more important question is – do you care? I mean so what if He is. If we are not devoted to God – loving Him with our whole hearts, then – even though we know it to be true – it will have little to no effect on how we live our lives.  It is like me and carbohydrates. I know that if I eat carbs then I will blow up like a puffer fish. My metabolism is just not what it used to be. Sadly, the “furnace” is not burning as hot as it once was. There was a day when everything that went in was consumed by the fire in the furnace. Not so much anymore. Knowing that and wanting to be healthy, I should stay away from carbs in my diet. I know that, but if I don’t do it – then I know what they consequences will be. In the same way – I know what my life is like if I ignore the Lord’s presence. If I don’t take care to focus on who I am spiritually and how I should consequently live my life.

The New Testament is replete with admonitions to the churches to do just that. People have not changed. The challenges for Christians living in a sin-sick world have not changed. People do not change even though the way they live and the technology they use to live does.  The heart of man is still prone to wander and seek its own way.

My point is that every life experience will fall into its proper place when God is in His proper place.  When we live as if we believe that the Lord is with us. A classic question is “Do you believe that what you believe is really real?”  If you do – God will always be first – and if you don’t – God will often be left in the dust in favor of what is urgent – what your flesh tells you is important.  We are faced with these decisions every day.  But – if we are not spiritually minded – we are bound to choose poorly.  If the Chief End Of Man is indeed to “Glorify God and Enjoy Him Forever” then God must be first and must be the One who determines how we respond to life.   

Therefore I also, after I heard of your faith in the Lord Jesus and your love for all the saints, do not cease to give thanks for you, making mention of you in my prayers: that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give to you the spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of Him, the eyes of your understanding being enlightened; that you may know what is the hope of His calling, what are the riches of the glory of His inheritance in the saints, and what is the exceeding greatness of His power toward us who believe, according to the working of His mighty power which He worked in Christ when He raised Him from the dead and seated Him at His right hand in the heavenly places, far above all principality and power and might and dominion, and every name that is named, not only in this age but also in that which is to come. And He put all things under His feet, and gave Him to be head over all things to the church, which is His body, the fullness of Him who fills all in all.” – Ephesians 1:15-23

Jesus is head over all things. If you are a Christian, and I so hope that you are, then He is your Lord. I once read that “If Jesus is not Lord OF all then Jesus is not Lord AT all.” “All” does not leave much room for anything else.  Does your heart buck-up against that thought? If so, that is not a good thing.  Be ready, you are going to be challenged today with this dilemma – your challenge is how to respond.  Not eating the carbs that are calling your name – that look so delicious – that promise life and joy but will never deliver on their promises. If you are a Christian – the choice is clear but the choosing requires faith and obedience if you are to respond correctly.  Keep the things of life in their proper place … don’t let your emotions rule .. that place belongs to the Lord of All.

Believe it – walk in it. Let your light shine and give God the glory.

By Faith Alone By His Grace Alone And For His Glory Alone

No comments: