Thursday, December 12, 2019

Keeping Your Mind And Spirit Fresh When Your Body Is Frail


"… we do not lose heart. Even though our outward man is perishing, yet the inward man is being renewed day by day. For our light affliction, which is but for a moment, is working for us a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory, while we do not look at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen. For the things which are seen are temporary, but the things which are not seen are eternal.” ― 2 Corinthians 4:16-18

Martie goes to see the neurosurgeon today for a follow-up after her spinal fusion. She is recovering well.  Her body sports so many “battle scars” reminders of the nature of our natural life and the trials it brings. Yet she presses on with determination and hope.  She and I often refer to our younger years – when our bodies were healthier and more vibrant.  Not so easily tired. The important question is not about how old we are on the outside, but how mature we are on the inside.  I was talking with a co-laborer yesterday about the work we are involved in.  She said that she and I are a team – she talks about a concept or issue and I share a scripture that applies to it.  It reminded me of the work that God has done in my life – the transformation that has taken and continues to take place.  I find that scripture comes out and I don’t even think about it.  My mind is fresh and my spirit is strong though my body is frail.

But God forbid that I should boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world.”   – Galatians 6:14

 I am not bragging about my spiritual maturity – more – I am marveling at the work that God has done in me.  That would be my prayer for all of us – that one day each of us would look around – figuratively speaking – and realize that God has done a mighty work in our particular jar of clay.  That is my hope for you.  Oh – I am far from the goal – still. But inch by inch, I crawl through this life ever seeking to know Jesus and make Him known. And in that struggle – God is conforming me into the image of His Son, and one day, the process will be complete – but certainly not on this side of heaven.  In the meantime – I will continue to seek to bring glory to His name through the living out of my life to the full. I am reminded of a quote by John Newton, the writer of Amazing Grace.

I am not what I ought to be — ah, how imperfect and deficient! I am not what I wish to be — I abhor what is evil, and I would cleave to what is good! I am not what I hope to be — soon, soon shall I put off mortality, and with mortality all sin and imperfection. Yet, though I am not what I ought to be, nor what I wish to be, nor what I hope to be, I can truly say, I am not what I once was; a slave to sin and Satan; and I can heartily join with the apostle, and acknowledge, ‘By the grace of God I am what I am.’” – John Newton, Letter 1772

Can somebody say – “Amen!”

By Faith Alone By His Grace Alone And For His Glory Alone

No comments: