Monday, December 16, 2019

Having The Same Spirit Is Not Enough

"What does it profit, my brethren, if someone says he has faith but does not have works? Can faith save him? If a brother or sister is naked and destitute of daily food, and one of you says to them, ‘Depart in peace, be warmed and filled,’ but you do not give them the things which are needed for the body, what does it profit?” ― James 2:14-16

Unity in the body of Christ is something that I have encouraged for many years.  Very often, I think, many Christians think of unity between Christians that are different ethnically, culturally, geographically, or maybe in the way they worship or feel about the sign gifts (prophecy, healing, speaking in tongues) much like their relationship with distant cousins.  They   acknowledge the relationship by virtue of the family tree but really have nothing to do with them. They might boast about the relationship if that person is famous, but that is for their own benefit and reputation, not the relative’s.   

God – through James – is telling us that unity – spiritual relationship is more than having a benevolent attitude for other Christians.  It is taking action when you see them in need.  Frankly, it is too easy to give money to your church and consider you have done your good deed.  That you have not walked on the other side of the road because you tithe and your church has a ministry for those in need.  That is good – but James was not writing to churches – he was writing to people in the church.  I have noticed that it is much easier for Christians to look to a distant land – perhaps even travel there and serve in some capacity for a week or so – than it is for them to walk across the street or across town.   

As I have written before (I always struggle with that wording. I want to write, “As I said”, but I didn’t say it, I wrote it)  I watch people as I listen.  Their faces and body language often reveal much more than the words they speak.  When a Brother or Sister of another ethnic group speaks of unity, it is much deeper that sharing the same Spirit.  They already know that.  But, if I may expand on James words, unity without works is also dead.

Finally, all of you be of one mind, having compassion for one another; love as brothers, be tenderhearted, be courteous; not returning evil for evil or reviling for reviling, but on the contrary blessing, knowing that you were called to this …” – 1 Peter 3:8-9

Each of us has opportunity to demonstrate Agape love to others. Don’t merely “hire out” your compassion for others and call it good. Be willing to walk to the other side of the road, not just to put a few dollars in a can held by an outstretched arm – or think that your tithe is good enough.  Not when you know the Spirit is prompting you to go further.  But to perhaps sacrifice for someone else like the Good Samaritan. He did more than give money, although he did that too. 

A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another; as I have loved you, that you also love one another. By this all will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another.” – John 13:34-35

I could write more, but I won’t. I think you get the idea. In consideration of this Christmas season – I want to encourage you to love others like God loved us. 

By Faith Alone By His Grace Alone And For His Glory Alone

No comments: