Tuesday, November 26, 2019

We Try Harder

“Jesus called his twelve disciples to him and gave them authority to drive out impure spirits and to heal every disease and sickness.” – Matthew 10:1

That was the mantra for Hertz Rental Cars years ago – may still be.  It is also the mantra of so many Christians that I know.  Now that I am born again I must try even harder not to sin. Did you catch the significance of the verse in Matthew? Jesus gave them the authority to do something they could not do without His influence.  I think most Christians acknowledge the reality of the Spirit in them – of the Word being a guide for living – of Jesus being their Savior. But – when it comes to daily living and the temptation to sin – they look to themselves thinking “I have to try harder not to sin anymore.” 

No temptation [to sin] has overtaken you except what is common to mankind. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can endure it.” – 1 Corinthians 10:13

Did you catch that? God provides the way to escape the temptation – it is not dependent upon your “won’t” power but it is something spiritual – supernatural. Something beyond the natural.

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.” – Philippians 4:13

There it is again – I can do what God tells me to do – what the Spirit leads me to do – What the Word reveals to me – through Christ. This new life is Spiritual so why do we persist in trying harder instead of “faithing” harder? Simple – that is our old natures “go to”.  The great lie. What lie? “I don’t need God to be righteous – I can do it myself!” So long as you embrace that thinking and doing – you will never mature in your faith.  Your light will always be dimmed.  My encouragement – shine bright! Yield to the Spirit – offer yourself as a living sacrifice every day. (Romans 12:1-2) Walling – living – by the Spirit is intentional – a daily discipline.  Will you be sinless in this life – I don’t think so – it is not about living a life of perfection – only Jesus did that – but letting the Spirit of God and the Word of God conform you into the image of Jesus until the day when you are perfected – when you meet Jesus face to face. 

By Faith Alone By His Grace Alone And For His Glory Alone

No comments: