Monday, March 4, 2019

Staying In Step With Jesus - It's A Supernatural Ability

But one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead, I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus. — Philippians 3:14 

I was walking down the hall with a friend the other day, but his pace was much faster than mine.  I soon found myself a few yards behind him.  I thought, “I guess my age is catching up with me.”  Then it dawned on me that I might be out of shape!  We can get out of shape spiritually too.  Keeping in step with Jesus requires that we be in-shape spiritually. 

Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one receives the prize? So run that you may obtain it.  Every athlete exercises self-control in all things. They do it to receive a perishable wreath, but we an imperishable.  So I do not run aimlessly; I do not box as one beating the air. But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified.” – 1 Corinthians 9:24-27 

This new life we live requires the discipline of an athlete.  Without proper spiritual conditioning, we will find ourselves falling behind, getting spiritually winded. That is a kinder way of saying that we will struggle with sin and obedience.  

There are two qualities that are important both in manufacturing processes and in the Christian life.  Validity and Reliability.  Validity means that whatever it is, is made and functions according to the designer’s plan.  Reliability means that it continues to function in the same valid way every time.  Have you ever said of someone that they are unreliable?  That they can’t be counted on? Well, perhaps that could be said of us as well with respect to our walk with the Lord.  

We all have feet of clay, but we also all have the Spirit of God and the capacity to live a super-natural life.  A life dependent upon the One who saved us and not ourselves. And so my friend, I think we need to look to Jesus and pick up the pace! Don’t let yourself fall behind.  Maybe it is not you, maybe it is someone you know that is struggling. I just had a memory flash across my mind.  I was a second lieutenant attending the lieutenant’s course in Armor (tanks).  We had to take physical fitness tests and pass them to be successful in the course.  One of the events was the two mile run around a quarter mile track.  That is 8 laps for those of you who like math.  A friend fell off of the pace needed to pass and stopped running.  I passed him, and then went back to encourage him.  He wanted to quit.  I encouraged him not to quit.  The evaluators told me to leave him and finish lest I too failed.  I didn’t and he didn’t – fail that is.  My point is that if you want to encourage someone in their faith, it will cost you something.  It requires time and effort and perhaps emotion.  

"Therefore comfort each other and encourage one another, just as you also are doing.” – 1 Thessalonians 5:11 

Encouraging others in the faith is one of the fundamental responsibilities we have toward other Christians.  But – you must be in shape yourself in order to fulfill that responsibility.  Whoever’s name just flashed across your mind – pray for them and encourage them.  Maybe a phone call – an email or Facebook message – maybe even meeting for lunch or coffee.  You are going to have to stop running to do it. But, do it …. today.

No comments: