Wednesday, December 12, 2018

What Are You Trusting In To Make You Feel OK


(Psalm 20:7)  Some trust in chariots and some in horses, but we trust in the name of the LORD our God.” 

There are plenty of opportunities every day to worry about your life – your wellbeing.  Many people spend their lives hopping from one worry to the next. Like stones in a stream – hoping that they don’t slip and fall into the water.

I was writing an email to my grandson this morning – about trusting God – and Psalm 20:7 came to my mind.  We have a choice about what we trust in – who we trust in.  Might be ourselves, another person, a job, a retirement account, the government – or perhaps the God of heaven.  Obviously I want to encourage you to trust in the latter. But the truth is, we are prone to trust on one or more of the former.

When you trust in God and not in “horses or chariots”, things of man’s own doing, those other things are put into proper perspective.  Security is not so much about what you have but Who has you. It is an odd phenomenon – the more we trust in God – the less the other things seem so important.  They may be necessary but not as important.  And likewise, the more we trust in other things the less important trusting God to provide seems to be. Recall yesterday’s devotion about the rich young ruler.  He could not abandon the idea that wealth was the answer to life’s problems.  His trust was not in God but other things.  

Every person struggles with where to put their trust.  It is a constant – moment by moment thing.  Life is a trust test.  Woe be to the ones who do not know God as Father.  They are left to trust in those things that they will leave behind when their life is over.  If you are born again.  On that day you entered in to an eternal relationship with the Creator God. Your life is in the palm of His hand.   But don’t just listen to me – listen to Jesus! 

(John 10:25-30) “The works I [Jesus] do in my Father’s name testify about me, but you do not believe because you are not my sheep. My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me. I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one will snatch them out of my hand. My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all; no one can snatch them out of my Father’s hand. I and the Father are one.” CHARLEY 

No comments: