Thursday, December 13, 2018

The Gift Giving Rule – If I Am Given Then I must Give


Here is the situation.  You meet with someone – and they give you a gift for Christmas – just some trinket – not expensive.  You were not expecting it.  You are maybe a little embarrassed.  So – you apologize saying – or maybe you just think. “I am so sorry, I did not bring you a gift.”  Then start thinking about how to rectify this inequity.  Most of us don’t give to get – so most probably the person did not expect you to give them something in return.  They gave you the gift because of their great affection for you and not because of what you can do for them or give them. 

In a similar way, God has given mankind a gift.  One that no one was expecting.  One that no one can match. God gave His Son to die – so we might live. (John 3:16) But He does want something in return – He wants our heart. (Matthew 22:37) “Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?” Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind   (Psalm 51:16-17) “You do not delight in sacrifice, or I would bring it; you do not take pleasure in burnt offerings. My sacrifice, O God, is a broken spirit; a broken and contrite heart you, God, will not despise.” 

God shows us grace (getting something we don’t deserve) and wants our hearts in return.  Matt Redman wrote a beautiful song about giving God the gift that He desires.

I Will Offer Up My Life

Matt Redman 

I will offer up my life - in spirit and truth
Pouring out the oil of love, as my worship to you
In surrender I must give - my every part
Lord, receive this sacrifice of a broken heart

Jesus, what can I give, what can I bring
To so faithful a Friend, to so loving a King?
Savior, what can be said, what can be sung
As a praise of Your name for the things You have done?
Oh, my words could not tell, not even in part
Of the debt of love that is owed by this thankful heart

You deserve my every breath, for You've paid the great cost
Giving up your life to death, even death on the cross
You took all my shame away, there defeated my sin
Open up the gates of heaven and have beckoned me in

We'll bring an offering, unto You an offering
What can I, what can I, what can I sing as an offering, Lord?
Oh, what can I give, what can I bring, what can I sing as an offering, Lord?
Simply this I will offer up my life in spirit and truth
Pouring out the oil of love, as my worship to you
In surrender I must give my every part
Lord, receive this sacrifice of a broken heart

It is Christmas what gift will you bring for the great gift Giver – maybe a renewed dedication of your heart.  CHARLEY  

No comments: