Thursday, August 17, 2017

What To Do When You Hear God Speak



{CHAMBERS} “Have you ever heard the Master say something very difficult to you? If you haven’t, I question whether you have ever heard Him say anything at all. Jesus says a tremendous amount to us that we listen to, but do not actually hear. And once we do hear Him, His words are harsh and unyielding. Jesus did not show the least concern that this rich young ruler should do what He told him, nor did Jesus make any attempt to keep this man with Him. He simply said to him, “Sell all that you have…and come, follow Me.” Our Lord never pleaded with him; He never tried to lure him— He simply spoke the strictest words that human ears have ever heard, and then left him alone. Have I ever heard Jesus say something difficult and unyielding to me? Has He said something personally to me to which I have deliberately listened— not something I can explain for the sake of others, but something I have heard Him say directly to me? This man understood what Jesus said. He heard it clearly, realizing the full impact of its meaning, and it broke his heart. He did not go away as a defiant person, but as one who was sorrowful and discouraged. He had come to Jesus on fire with zeal and determination, but the words of Jesus simply froze him. Instead of producing enthusiastic devotion to Jesus, they produced heartbreaking discouragement. And Jesus did not go after him, but let him go.”

{ELGIN}  There are a couple of points in Chambers’ devotion that bear elaboration.  First, the manner in which Jesus interacts with us.  Chambers suggests that Jesus, Himself, speaks to us.  Except for Paul’s experience on the road to Damascus, I am not aware of another time that Jesus has interacted with someone directly.  We often say “Jesus told me or God told me”, but what that really means is that the Father or the Son spoke through the Spirit.  I have mentioned this on a number of occasions, but it bears repeating.  We hear God’s or Jesus’ voice by the Spirit through the Word, prayer, circumstances and other Believers.  That is one reason why we are encouraged to walk by the Spirit (Galatians 5:16) and to live by the Spirit (Galatians 5:25).  In order to communicate with the Father or the Son we must be submitted to the Spirit.  In order to be submitted to the Spirit, who is holy, our hearts must be free from sin. And we find that freedom through confession (1 John 1:9) How do you know if it is really God?  In my experience His direction will be confirmed in more than one of those 4 ways.  Let me add that often other Believers are reluctant to tell you what God has told them about you.  I think because they lack confidence that they heard God, but in my experience, God uses others for that very purpose.

The second point has to do with why we struggle with obeying what we are told.  Our flesh, our natural desires, are in direct competition with God for our devotion.  We may agree with God that what He says is right, but when it comes to doing it, laying our natural desires down and following Jesus, well….. that is something else again.  Jesus does not negotiate with us. Jesus does not compromise.  “I am the way and the truth and the life, no one comes to the Father except by Me.” (John 14:6)  There is no other way, as much as you might want there to be one.  “You cannot love God and money” (Matthew 6:24)  The Bible does not say you cannot love God and “have” money.  But the money cannot “have” you.  If God says give it away, you give it away.  Just make sure it is God talking and not your emotion.  We don’t sing the old hymns much anymore, but the one that comes to mind as I type these words is “All to Jesus I surrender, all to Him I freely give.  I will ever love and trust Him, in His presence daily live.  I surrender all.  I surrender all.  All to Thee my blessed Savior, I surrender all.”  Great hymn but the only way we can do that is by faith and laying ourselves down as a living sacrifice (Romans 12:1).  So how about it?

No comments: