Tuesday, August 1, 2017

Do You Love God More Than Anything Else? God Will Ask You To Prove It!



When Jesus finished commanding His twelve disciples…He departed from there to teach and to preach in their cities. —Matthew 11:1

{CHAMBERS} “If you stayed home when God told you to go because you were so concerned about your own people there, then you actually robbed them of the teaching of Jesus Christ Himself. […] Watch where you begin to debate with Him and put what you call your duty into competition with His commands. If you say, “I know that He told me to go, but my duty is here,” it simply means that you do not believe that Jesus means what He says. […] Are we playing the part of an amateur providence, trying to play God’s role in the lives of others? […] He works where He sends us to wait. “…tarry…until…” (Luke 24:49). “Wait on the Lord” and He will work (Psalm 37:34). But don’t wait sulking spiritually and feeling sorry for yourself, just because you can’t see one inch in front of you! […] Waiting is not sitting with folded hands doing nothing, but it is learning to do what we are told.”

{ELGIN}  Sometimes the commands of the Lord may seem inconsistent, even contradictory.  On the one hand we are to be responsible parents and children yet on the other Jesus said “Let the dead bury the dead” when the young man asked to first bury his father before following Jesus.  (Luke 9:60)  He said “If anyone comes to me and does not hate father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters-yes, even their own life-such a person cannot be my disciple.” (Luke 14:26 26)  All of this has to do with what He said in Matthew 22:37,  “You must love God with all your heart, mind, soul, and strength”, the greatest commandment.  Everything we do must spring out of that love, our primary focus in this life.  That is Jesus’ point.  There is no other “first”, or at least there should not be.  I have met so many people who heard the call of God, but hesitated because they must “first”.  The call of God is a test of faith.  There are so many things that compete with God for first place in our lives.  Jesus did not say you can’t love your family, He was saying you can’t love them more than God and be obedient to the greatest commandment.  (Matthew 6:24) “No one can serve two masters … you will love one and hate the other”   

Do you trust God enough to obey Him even if it means upending you plans for the future? I am grappling with that right now.  I know God moved us back from Haiti to minister to our family.  He has me, what I call, “chasing zeros and ones” meaning I work as a systems engineer with computers.  That is not how He has shaped me, at least in my mind, but that is how He is using me.  In my case, my struggle is with my love for full-time ministry and His call for us to raise two teenaged grandchildren.  It seems strange.  On the one hand, the Lord said “Leave your family and you and your wife serve others.”  Now He is saying, "Leave serving others and serve your family.”  The question is, “Am I willing to be used by God in any way that He chooses?”  My challenge, to trust God and rest in His sovereignty.  But, then again, that is every Christian’s challenge.  So what is God telling you to do that you are resisting? 

No comments: